318 to 360 swap-balance concerns

-

jerrygriffin

Reaction score
The more info I get regarding balance problems encountered in doing a 318 to a 360 swap, the more I wish I had stayed with bowties. I am switching from a 318 to 360, using the same 904 tranny. I have the 360 flex plate and the harmonic balancer. Since the engine is not pulled yet, I have no idea what converter I have regarding number of teeth, and so on. Will I have to replace the converter, or is it neutral balanced? I want to use the 360 flexplate, the current converter (Hayes) and be balanced. Any input?
Thanks,

jerrygriffin said:
The more info I get regarding balance problems encountered in doing a 318 to a 360 swap, the more I wish I had stayed with bowties. I am switching from a 318 to 360, using the same 904 tranny. I have the 360 flex plate and the harmonic balancer. Since the engine is not pulled yet, I have no idea what converter I have regarding number of teeth, and so on. Will I have to replace the converter, or is it neutral balanced? I want to use the 360 flexplate, the current converter (Hayes) and be balanced. Any input?
Thanks,

I think the "balance" is done in the flex plate not the convertor.

Aftermarket provides balanced flex plates for this swap. Factory original the torque converter has weights attached for the purpose of balancing.

Buy a 360 B&M flexplate. And then run any convertor you want. Chevies are worse in regard to proper flexplates. Mopar uses the convertor weights from the factory on 360s and cast crank engines. B&M just makes it easier to run any convertor.

Moper is right and if you were going from a 350 to a small block 400 in a chevy you would have to change the flexplate so it is not a Mopar only thing. Also if you go from a 396/427 to a 454 Chevy you will also have the flexplate issue.

Chuck

I would have never admitted it in the first place so I give him credit.

moper said:
Buy a 360 B&M flexplate. And then run any convertor you want. Chevies are worse in regard to proper flexplates. Mopar uses the convertor weights from the factory on 360s and cast crank engines. B&M just makes it easier to run any convertor.

Moper is right

I just bought the 360 B&M flexplate.......somewhere around $75.00
Well worth it.

Here's the B&M flexplate

bal07.jpg

we threw the convertor on to see how good it was out of the box.

bal04.jpg

....my new convertor has no weights

As long as I stick with a neutral balanced convertor (no weights)
I can change out the convertor in the future and not worry about
the rotating assembly.

Best place to find this flex plate? The one on my crank is much smaller and not round like your picture. Mine is a modified cross shape. My 360 engine was out of a 78 Dodge Magnum.

just did this swap flex plate from summit or jegs for 360 will work just fine, and even if you want t change your converter to bigger or smaller stall it can be used on any of them, so cheaper in long run to get flexplate>

The after market flex plate and coverter (matched of course) will work ? Because is not the stock Mopar converters for a 318 and 360 balanced differently? One being internal and the other external weight balanced?

-
Back