318 to 4 barrel-double checking

-

justthatguy

Josh(69 Valiant)
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently drug a 72 Gold Duster back to the house and the 2 barrel is leaking from every seal and the gas looks orange. I have a 340 and 360 intake laying around, so I figured that I could throw one of those on there to get it running right. I know a guy that has a few 4 barrels, and I may even have one myself. Question is, all I need is the larger intake gasket for the different port size, right? I'm just a little worried that I might forget something.

LOL, "Dragged?"

I would spring for new gaskets. The 318 has tin, narrow gasket. A set of new Fel-Pro's or Mr. Gaskets would be a much better idea. They are approx. 2 X 1 inch.

LOL, "Dragged?"

I would spring for new gaskets. The 318 has tin, narrow gasket. A set of new Fel-Pro's or Mr. Gaskets would be a much better idea. They are approx. 2 X 1 inch.

sometimes when I'm tired my southern vocabulary is obvious. Can you tell?

I think I have a spreadbore intake, maybe with a carb like a Quadrajet since those are plentiful?

sometimes when I'm tired my southern vocabulary is obvious. Can you tell?

About as bad as my Northern one, LOL!

Q jets are about a tad easier to find than a TQ in the junk yards. If you want a TQ, there on this site. Bobby (AKA Rusty Rat Rod) is in Ga. I do believe he has a few around. If not, he does do a very nice job at rebuilding them, so, check him out.

The slight problem with a Q-jet is there mostly found on GM's. Chrysler started to use them in the early - mid 80's. Carter went out of biz in '84.

Hooking up the linkage may pose a small problem. And honestly, I'm not to sure if it is even a problem really. I have not done it. I have seen the Q-jet as OE equipment on a van. Never really paid that much attention to it though.

A TQ is a bolt on and in. Tuning parts are a little tuff to find. I have bent Edel. AFB rods 3/4 and clipped the extra off. It works well. And there around, easy to get.

Use the 340 / 360 intake gaskets, I like Felpro myself. Qjet should be fine but the choke is the tricky part. Use a brass float, not the plastic junk float and epoxy the bowl plugs. Chevy Qjets should be able to use the Mopar throttle adapter.

-
Back