318 V8 running sickly

-

68dartgtman

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a few questions and hopefully someone has run into this problem - last week I started my dart and it was running excellently. I pulled it out of the garage and let it sit running to warm it up. As it was running all of a sudden it started to stumble really bad. I thought it might be out of gas so I turned it off and put fresh gas in it. Now it will hardly run - barely starts - it's getting gas - it's getting spark - but can't figure out what would have made it start running so terribly - installed a new gas filter on it and no difference. The car has a Autolite rebuilt carb ( 2nd one in 5 years) and was wondering it that could be the problem......... it originally had a Carter carb and I still have it.
Does anyone have any idea's why all of a sudden it would go from running perfect to barely running? it's has a new gas tank, fuel lines, fuel pump etc....... everything is new that bolts on this engine........ I am just stumped.
Also, does anyone have any thoughts on Carter carbs - good or bad?
I'm thinking it's a problem with this Autolite carb again - it's a rebuilt one from Rockauto ....

thank you guys !

Don't know if its a stock motor, but it could have fouled a plug. Pull them and look, sometimes they won't come back from being fouled.

Hey Guys,

I have a few questions and hopefully someone has run into this problem - last week I started my dart and it was running excellently. I pulled it out of the garage and let it sit running to warm it up. As it was running all of a sudden it started to stumble really bad. I thought it might be out of gas so I turned it off and put fresh gas in it. Now it will hardly run - barely starts - it's getting gas - it's getting spark - but can't figure out what would have made it start running so terribly - installed a new gas filter on it and no difference. The car has a Autolite rebuilt carb ( 2nd one in 5 years) and was wondering it that could be the problem......... it originally had a Carter carb and I still have it.
Does anyone have any idea's why all of a sudden it would go from running perfect to barely running? it's has a new gas tank, fuel lines, fuel pump etc....... everything is new that bolts on this engine........ I am just stumped.
Also, does anyone have any thoughts on Carter carbs - good or bad?
I'm thinking it's a problem with this Autolite carb again - it's a rebuilt one from Rockauto ....

thank you guys !
Clogged fuel filter, stuck float in the carb, vacuum leak...make sure a vacuum line didn't come off...roached points, bad coil, melted spark plug wire..
All unlikely but possible.
Sounds like a sticking float to me.
I would rebuild the carter and run that.

Thanks Guys - I'll try all your suggestions - it is a stock engine - didn't have to rebuild it - like I said - everything bolt on this engine is new - did check for vacuum leak and had a loose hose so put a clamp on it but made no difference - was hoping that was the problem ..... Thanks again for all the suggestions !

Mike

Make sure carb isnt loose. Wont tell you how i figured that one out.

use the Carter as a learning tool. Buy the kit and if you run into an issue post it. Not sure of your experience level, nothing horribly complex about a carb. Everyone has to start somewhere. Just don't overtighten and strip any screws. A can of that compressed air for keys can help blow out the passages.

Ok - I will do that - thanks furrystump ! It's been a long time since I have rebuilt a carb - just helped a friend rebuild his carb on his 49 dodge - was really easy so I will try that first !

thank you so much !

Mike

Ok - I will do that - thanks furrystump ! It's been a long time since I have rebuilt a carb - just helped a friend rebuild his carb on his 49 dodge - was really easy so I will try that first !

thank you so much !

Mike

Do yourself a favor and count how far in your idle adjustment screws are out, pull them and shoot some compressed air in the holes.
Then put your adjusters back in the same amount and try it.
A little shot of WD40 or similar in them first helps to carry junk out if you have some.

On what "trailbeast" said, pull the idle mixture screws. shoot a 2 second blast of starting fluid or brake kleen into each carb port. replace the idle screws. see if it will now idle.

Start it, before it dies...cover the carb with the flat of your hand. Do that and see if it keeps running or smooths out.

Start it, before it dies...cover the carb with the flat of your hand. Do that and see if it keeps running or smooths out.
I have done that, push choke plate closed and snap the throttle, sometimes clears whatever could be blocking passages.

You say new fuel pump..... I have seen many new fuel pumps lately...... offshore crap..... put out way too much pressure, which the needle and seat cannot hold back. The fuel pump overpowers the float, needle and seat and floods the carb.

With it running, air cleaner off, look at and down the carb throat. You should not see any fuel coming out the carb vent or venturi booster at idle.

Thank You Everyone !
Great advice and a lot of things to try ...... I'll get started this week as my damn job is keeping me from doing any type of repairs right now !
errrrrrrrrrrr

thanks again !

Mike

Timing chain? does it still have the crappy nylon cam gear? As stated everything that bolts "on" the engine is new, how bout "in " the engine?

Hey Dartswinger70 -
I have not rebuilt this engine - the only thing I had to do was take the intake off and have it cleaned because it was plugged with carbon - I have not replace anything internal - checked compression on each cylinder and right at 125 to 150 lbs of pressure and I had a new oil pump installed since the pan gasket was trash. So to answer you question - yes - it still has the crappy cam gear ......... I was wondering if the timing had jumped .............. had a car do that once years ago .............. I will try all the suggestions in this chain above and hope it's not the timing gear or chain .......... gezzzzzzzzzzzz - I hope it not that !

thanks man !
Mike

Hey Dartswinger70 -
I have not rebuilt this engine - the only thing I had to do was take the intake off and have it cleaned because it was plugged with carbon - I have not replace anything internal - checked compression on each cylinder and right at 125 to 150 lbs of pressure and I had a new oil pump installed since the pan gasket was trash. So to answer you question - yes - it still has the crappy cam gear ......... I was wondering if the timing had jumped .............. had a car do that once years ago .............. I will try all the suggestions in this chain above and hope it's not the timing gear or chain .......... gezzzzzzzzzzzz - I hope it not that !

thanks man !
Mike

There is a way to check it. Remove the distributor cap, line the timing marks up on the harmonic balancer to 0 (TDC Compression). See if the rotor is pointing at cylinder # 1 (or the intake bolt at the left front corner of the intake) If it is off, the timing chain 'jumped time" also, you can check for slop in the chain (they stretch) by turning the crank pulley counter clock wise. take note of how much the crank moves compared to when the rotor moves, if say, the crank moves 1/4 turn before the distributor moves, you know there's a lot of slop. This is an exaggeration, I think 1/4 turn is really bad, but 1/8 even is sloppy. You will know, you will feel it and see that there is excessive play in the timing set. I only chimed in because I've been there with a 318 with stock nylon timing gears, it makes a real difference when you change out to a double roller. If the engine is stock never rebuilt, the timing set can be a possibility. Rough idle, no power, hard start can be symptoms. As you said it was running fine and all of a sudden changed, that indicates a possible hard failure or jumped timing possibly. I am not saying tear the engine apart, but check it.

And now, the rest of the story!
I'd say the cam timing chain is suspect. Had a Ford do that to me once on the road. Kinda now you see me , now you don't.

Hey Guys
Well - it's been a long road but the Dart is Finally running again ............ Thank you for all the suggestions and help. I tried all the suggestions and after replacing the carburetor, coil & ballast resister and multiple checks on fuel, timing and a host of other idea's it turned out to be the Condenser in the distributor - I had replaced the complete distributor with a new one about 8 months ago and it came with everything in it new -
so much for "new" parts ................ at least it's running like a new car again !!!!
Now I can start the final paint and reassembly !
Thanks again for everyone's help !
Mike

Condensor. Who’da thunkit?
Glad its solved.
We need a runs like crap checklist and tests to prove out parts.

Common problem, new condensers are crap.
If you have an old one that works run it.

-
Back