318 vs 360 weight

-
Reaction score
Thanks to the VIN decoder on this site I figured out that my new Scamp was born with a 318. I have a 360 to put in it. Is there any weight difference between the two engines? I'm trying to figure out if I need to change the torsion bars when I drop the 360 in.

Thanks to the VIN decoder on this site I figured out that my new Scamp was born with a 318. I have a 360 to put in it. Is there any weight difference between the two engines? I'm trying to figure out if I need to change the torsion bars when I drop the 360 in.
pretty sure you will be ok with the ones you have unless you are building a race motor. I still have the 6 cylinder ones in my car. Some racers even prefer the lighter bar, not sure why.

6 cylinder bars will transfer weight to the rear better for drag racing..

I think V8 torsion bars should be the same, you will be fine, but it would be a good time to upgrade if you want a bit of a stiffer ride/ handling. And also a thinner torsion bar has to be twisted more to keep a heavier front end at the same ride height, I think this also helps in weight transfer in drag racing as well. But it is also hard on the bar in everyday driving.

I think I remember reading that 360s are actually 25-50 lbs. heavier than 318s, from the external balancing and different main bearing sizes... could be wrong though. IMO factory T-bars were barely adequate for 1960s tires, and are way obsolete for even the simplest modern radial tires. I'd strongly recommend big-block-size or bigger torsion bars in any V8 car unless it was set up for strip action only. Of course if it's all you have you should be OK, just don't take corners too sharply (as I'm sure you already know).

I don't know what the difference is, but my Dart definitely sits at least a half inch lower in the front with the 5.9 Magnum vs. the 318, and that's with AC and PS removed.

Steve

Magnum small blocks are heavier than a regular LA motor. The stock iron magnum heads are seriously heavy.

I was reading an article in Car Craft about the 318. March 2010 Building a stroker 500hp etc.

They showed a 318 block next 2 a 360 block and the 360 block is longer front to rear.

the 360 block is just plain bigger according to the article.

Then you shouldn't believe everything you read,especially in Car Craft. All LA small blocks weigh pretty close to the same. All LA small blocks have the same basic outside dimensions.

Later blocks might be a little lighter due to thinner wall castings.

Then you shouldn't believe everything you read,especially in Car Craft. All LA small blocks weigh pretty close to the same. All LA small blocks have the same basic outside dimensions.

Later blocks might be a little lighter due to thinner wall castings.

Sorry.

I am new to Mopar I have only owned 3 abodies and all are /6. The only 360 I had was in a truck. I am picking up another abody this weekend and it is a 318.

So does this mean that there are parts that are interchangeable between the two? I have been trying to find info on them.

IMO factory T-bars were barely adequate for 1960s tires, and are way obsolete for even the simplest modern radial tires. I'd strongly recommend big-block-size or bigger torsion bars in any V8 car unless it was set up for strip action only. Of course if it's all you have you should be OK, just don't take corners too sharply (as I'm sure you already know).

I definately agree with this. I like the looks of the MP .920 Bars for the A-Bodies, I hear this give an all around pretty good spring rate for a Dart with a SB and is what I plan on getting. Should give a more modern sporty feel.

Sorry.

I am new to Mopar I have only owned 3 abodies and all are /6. The only 360 I had was in a truck. I am picking up another abody this weekend and it is a 318.

So does this mean that there are parts that are interchangeable between the two? I have been trying to find info on them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0895861283/?tag=joeychgo-20 and
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1557884056/?tag=joeychgo-20
Those are what I use mostly and it really helps. After you read through those a few times, then just hover around thhe forums and you will pick up even more. :) Good luck with that 318, there are a few people really into 318s on this forum... I am one of them... so if you need help I am sure you can find it

Yes, many parts will interchange. In fact, among LA series small blocks it's easier to list those which will not interchange... pistons, 360 cranks and 360 oil pans. But just because parts may physically interchange, does not mean that they are identical or operationally equivalent.

There are several books which give detailed interchange info. The Mopar "Engines" book and Larry Shepard's "How to Hot Rod the Small Block Mopar" are great starting points.

-
Back