318: What Will It Make?

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
Would appreciate if any of you dyno/pro engine builder/dyno program guy/gals could enter my info or give a good guess at what hp/trq my 318 combo would make. I'm at around 6000ft elevation. It would be very much appreciated!

318 .030" over.
Stock cast crank .010/.030 under. Balanced assembly
Cast flat top piston..zero deck
Bushed stock rods
10:1 compression
Stock volume oilpump
Performer Intake
Lunati cam .465/.465 228/[email protected]"
Cloyes double roller t/s.
Holley 650 SB DP w/ 1" spacer
Iron 973 smog head w/1.75 I / 1.5 E valves. Gasket match/bowl blend/shape,remove guide areas/slight porting /60cc chambers/ 3 angle valve job...(not sure of angles, prob close to stock)
Crane 1.5 roller rockers
Hooker headers 1 5/8" prim, 2.5" collector
Factory Electronic Ign.

Also, wonder what this combo would run in my Valiant...1/4 times??
Trans is 904 w/ TF2 kit, Alto Red clutches(extra clutches as well) Kolene steels, red lined bands.
2500 stall convertor.
3.55 gearset on street tires, lol.
Stock 66 Valiant rear springs and shocks
Car is around 3000lbs w/me as driver.

Very much appreciated!! I'll take a guess and say around 300hp/330tq

Desktop Dyno says 345 HP@ 5500 and 329 TQ @ 5500.

Gosh I would sure hope so.

Lol!
My buds joke around about me building the 318 and putting the $$$ into it. Say it's a waste. None of them are Mopar guys though. One owns a 74 Duster that's been stripped/nonrunning for several years but he's a Ford guy through and through.

I'm just wanting to surprise the crap outta them with the teen. I'm really hoping for 13's. I built a teen years ago but had a stock converter, 8:1 comp, zero head work and a smaller cam and it ran 13.90's in a lightened 71 Swinger. That was in St. Louis.
Would be nice to put a small nos shot on it and be in the high 12's! lol

Oh yeah, there is one other Mopar guy that sorta runs in the crowd....and even he gives me a load of $#!@ about running the 318!!

He has a 67 Valiant with a "built" 408/904 combo. He keeps trying to get me to buy the 408 as he's "building" a turbo'd R3 w/W9 heads, etc.
The 408 has a .620 roller, M1, 850 Holley, 12 or 13:1 comp......the car only runs 12.70's with slicks and 4.10 gear!! I've watched it in person run only that as well. The car screams but doesn't go anywhere and looks like the suspension unloads after 60ft. Another friend has rode in the car and says that it feels like the car gets rearended shifting into 3rd but doesn't throw your head back...just like a big jolt or bang in the suspension.

Trying to sell me the 408 for 4G's!! lol. I'm just like, Nah, not with those 1/4 times...something wrong with something! I'm thinking the car should be in the low 11's at least.
Imma wanting to somewhat embarass him, lol.

I had a 74 Dart Sport with a similar built 318 and it ran 13.90's... This was back in the early 90's and I loved that car... It was my Mustang 5.0 killer...

Most any engine will respond to power upgrades as long as all the parts are a good match. I think people that piss on 318s are pretty stupid, actually. There are plenty of them right on this site too.

Lol!
My buds joke around about me building the 318 and putting the $$$ into it. Say it's a waste. None of them are Mopar guys though. One owns a 74 Duster that's been stripped/nonrunning for several years but he's a Ford guy through and through.

I'm just wanting to surprise the crap outta them with the teen. I'm really hoping for 13's. I built a teen years ago but had a stock converter, 8:1 comp, zero head work and a smaller cam and it ran 13.90's in a lightened 71 Swinger. That was in St. Louis.
Would be nice to put a small nos shot on it and be in the high 12's! lol

Think of the "teen" as a little 340...

A lot of e.t to be found in the chassis,rear gears and trans converter. Most guys tend to overthink the motor and ignore the rest..Lightening the car helps handling,braking and e.t!

I have seen new ralley wheels from y/o made from aluminum. Sneaky way to lose weight and look stock.

I had a 74 Dart Sport with a similar built 318 and it ran 13.90's... This was back in the early 90's and I loved that car... It was my Mustang 5.0 killer...

That's funny. When I had my 71 Swinger, my cousin Mike had an 86 Mustang LX Notch w/H.O. 5.0 and 5 spd. Also had 3.73 posi in it.
One day we went playing around and the cars were dead even. We stopped on the side of the road at one point and he said "Watch this."
Popped the hood on my car and he adjusted the timing on my car by ear by having me hold the rpm at 2000 and advancing it till it increased in rpm then decreased then set it just at the highest point in rpm before it would bog down again.
We then got back to it and every time my ragbag low compression 318 w/904 and 3.55 gear would pull away from that Stang, EVERY time! He had a big grin on his face and would just laugh, lol. He's a Mopar guy through and through and bought the Stang when it was close to new and used it as his daily driver/mpg getter, lol.

If it made 300 I think that would be decent.

Most 360's with bigger heads and same compression have a hard time busting a true 350hp.

I think the 318 is the ultimate sleeper engine... That same Dart Sport I mentioned above made a believer out of lots of folks. At the time I was pretty much the only Mopar on the streets in this town.. Sure mad a believer out of my best friend and his 72 Chevelle with a built up 350.. Made him sick...

Think of the "teen" as a little 340...

A lot of e.t to be found in the chassis,rear gears and trans converter. Most guys tend to overthink the motor and ignore the rest..Lightening the car helps handling,braking and e.t!

I have seen new ralley wheels from y/o made from aluminum. Sneaky way to lose weight and look stock.

That's funny too!
When I had that 71 Swinger with the teen I used to drive it to Coles County Dragway 1/8mi strip in Charleston, IL and race on the weekends.
One weekend the car was super consistent and I made it to the quarterfinals. I pissed off a few of the big tire/chassis guys running in the class (sportsman) as well, lol :) Car was running like 8.921, 8.923, etc, etc, lol.
No one paid attention to the car ever until then. Had a lot of guys coming up and asking if it was a 340! lol Nope just a back yard hone job 318, lol. They would just "Hmm" and walk off, lol.
Most were trailer queens, I drove mine 60mi one way, raced, and drove home, haha.

My first car was a 68 Dodge Coronet 440 with a 318.The only upgrade was dual exhaust even had a 2bbl still.Anyway I did a lot of street racing in that car.I raced all knds of Chevy and Ford small blocks and very rarely lost a race with that car.

Did that a number of times myself. None of my closest friends would race me with their Chevies. I think people driving Fords in the area were rarer than Mopars actually.
Heck, even at the track in Charleston I'd say at least 50% of the cars were Mopar...a lot of tubbed 68 and 69 Darts, Dusters, and a Demon or two.

Performer rpm is an excellent intake.
The only problem might be the port size miss match on the intake side of the heads.
A little more cam than what you have is a good idea.

360 crank and rods and a 284 484 cam and a good single plane intake. I know where you can get the crank and rods cheap, comes with a short block.

I would bet it runs 15's with good air. Altitude is a killer....You can expect your car to be about a second slower than all the tracks that are closer to sea level (probably a little more than a second...mine was). For example, when I raced at Bandimere (mild 360 combo) my car would run between 13.9-13.5 on the motor, I moved to Indiana and in poor air clicked off a 12.49 right off the bat.

If your engine is well built and your car it light you might nick the high 14's on a good day, with good air, with plenty of traction, and at Pueblo where cars typically go a little faster due to lower elevation...not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to keep it real.

I agree. The 318 is an altimate sleeper engine. Ive rebuilt the one in my 79 dodge truck and mildly rodded it out. I keep up with all the rice burners. Everyone thinks i have a bigblock in it. Cant wait to try out my 68 valaint with the 318 I rebuilt and put into it.

Oh yeah, there is one other Mopar guy that sorta runs in the crowd....and even he gives me a load of $#!@ about running the 318!!

He has a 67 Valiant with a "built" 408/904 combo. He keeps trying to get me to buy the 408 as he's "building" a turbo'd R3 w/W9 heads, etc.
The 408 has a .620 roller, M1, 850 Holley, 12 or 13:1 comp......the car only runs 12.70's with slicks and 4.10 gear!! I've watched it in person run only that as well. The car screams but doesn't go anywhere and looks like the suspension unloads after 60ft. Another friend has rode in the car and says that it feels like the car gets rearended shifting into 3rd but doesn't throw your head back...just like a big jolt or bang in the suspension.

Trying to sell me the 408 for 4G's!! lol. I'm just like, Nah, not with those 1/4 times...something wrong with something! I'm thinking the car should be in the low 11's at least.
Imma wanting to somewhat embarass him, lol.

Well that makes me feel better....thanks....

-
Back