318 with 360 heads

-

1968 signet

MOPAR OR NO CAR
Reaction score
i heard years ago about putting 360 heads on a 318. what will i gain ? and is there any thing i need speacial? head gaskets, or anything else i need to know about doing this.

360 heads will flow a lot better stock for stock but you will have to get them milled because the compression will be a lot lower

Has there been a compresion increase with the pistons?

Generaly speaking, the 360 heads are way to large for a stock 318 and even a mild build will not use the heads potentail well.

Since your 318 is stock and I'll assume a stock replacement piston set was used, I would most certainly stick with the stock head. Use of a 360 head now will not only result in a slower car but a crappier off the line get up and go feel and worse mileage and general drivabilty.

the 360 heads are rebuild and ready, i dont have a set of good 318 heads to use that why im trying to use the 360 ones, i looked at a set of 318 heads and the 360 heads and it looks like the combustion chambers in the 360 are smaller i dont know if the guy before milled them down or not. what size sould the chambers be? are the head gasket the same?

The head gaskets are the same. Only change was the "Magnum" engines came out. There devoid one hole for oil feeding to the heads.

what size sould the chambers be?
Stock, approx. 72cc's. Give or take 2cc in ethier direction.

or

What they should be to get back the same ratio you had with the smaller chambered 318 heads? CC the 318 head and the 360 to compare. Match cc amounts. Use a stock head gasket, the thin metal one from Mopar.

or

For your current build and/or direction of build? I'd say none since you have not said you have done or going to do a cam and headers with a gear change and etc..... Typical Hot Rod upgrade stuff.

A light milling on the 318 heads would be nice to get the ratio up a tad since the factorys advertised ratio is far from accurate and the engine is probably down a half point to to a full point less than advretised.
A max ratio of 9.5-1 would be doable but may require a lot of head milling and that could transfer over to a possible intake modification of egging out the attaching bolt holes as to enable the holes to line up so the intake can be bolted down.
There can be more to this than I writen and lengthy in description. I'll bottom line it saying it's really not worth an excesssive milling and a piston replacement is tons better to do.

i check how much water each head would take and the 360 head took 8 ml less than the 318. so i guess the heads were milled already. i dont have anything to mearsure cc but any ways the 360 took less water to fill.

well what if he did go with a little bigger cam headers four barrell and say 4.10 gears. Would his motor benifit from these heads then?
wayne

-
Back