318 with chocolate milk

-

slimjim

Reaction score
Well, I sent her a little too hard during my last track visit. I think I may have found the coolant leak source but, I’m not 100% sure. You all see anything I may have missed?

Well, I sent her a little too hard during my last track visit. I think I may have found the coolant leak source but, I’m not 100% sure. You all see anything I may have missed?

Yep, she's broke.

Oh that sucks. I didn’t watch the vid yet but I did watch your battle at Barona video. Thanks for the shout out. Seems the trans and carb work got that thing to run a little better.

Ok watched the vid. I’m not convinced that the intake was the culprit. Go out and drive it, get it hot/heat soaked and have a look at the oil after. Also a pcv valve will help with the oil leaks and crankcase pressure and might be worth a few hp.

I've seen corn gas do that. What about the radiator?

The RTV set for to long before assembly, look at the gaps. If the rest of the install suffered the same lack of attention I could understand having other leak.
1672941383883.png

Last edited:
Ok watched the vid. I’m not convinced that the intake was the culprit. Go out and drive it, get it hot/heat soaked and have a look at the oil after. Also a pcv valve will help with the oil leaks and crankcase pressure and might be worth a few hp.
I’m taking it to/from work and around town for errands this week. Checking the oil after every trip. Maybe 50 miles so far and no signs quite yet

I've seen corn gas do that. What about the radiator?

The RTV set for to long before assembly, look at the gaps. If the rest of the install suffered the same lack of attention I could understand having other leak.
View attachment 1716030830
I noticed that when I pulled it off too. Tough building cars when you’ve got little kids. I don’t remember the day of the install but, I’m often getting pulled away for diapers, bottles, etc. I used rubber units the last time so, hopefully that helps.

Cracked head or block, possibly blown head gasket. Oops!!!
It’s got a cracked valve seat on #3 so, I’m still crossing my fingers that the newly sealed intake keeps the oil clean this week. Still want to have a little more fun with this junkyard build before it’s time to break it down.

You are getting antifreeze in the oil. I would pressurize the cooling system first followed by a compression and cylinder leakage test as needed.

I noticed that when I pulled it off too. Tough building cars when you’ve got little kids. I don’t remember the day of the install but, I’m often getting pulled away for diapers, bottles, etc. I used rubber units the last time so, hopefully that helps.
Glad it’s not just me. It’s a good challenge keeping the toddler from hurting himself while trying to turn a wrench.

-
Back