318 with NOS?

-

edward9egan

Reaction score
So I'm trying to get more out of my 1970 318 for cheaper. I already have 340 J heads that have been ported and have 2.02 intake valves in them. A Holley 750 with vacuum secondary. The bottom end is all stock but is in good shape. I was thinking about putting in some nitrous but had some questions. First is it worth it? If so what kind of intake is going to give me the best results? Will I need to get a mechanical secondary carb? And how should the timing be set so I don't kill the engine?

Id like to do the same to my 1976 318. My initial thoughts would start with a nitrous grind camshaft and pistons.

& MSD distributor (adjust the timing to burn rich ?? maybe)

Nitrous is going to give you a lot more power than anything else you can do on a 318, so IMO it's worth it. Those heads are going to kill your compression, off the top of my head probably 7.5 or so, and you won't need the bigger ports, so it will be slower no matter what. A bigger cam on top of it will make it worse.

You try the N20 first,see if you like it. A 100 to 125.shot,at most. You need a GOOD fuel system.Check all the rubber lines under the car. If bad,change em out. Add a good Carter mechanial Streep/strip pump,(and if you can afford it)a adjustable fuel regulator. A electronic factory ignition in good shape,a minimum.MSD/ CRANE multi spark box,best. Used junk fries motors,don't kill your ride. Pull 2 degrees of timing out,for every 50 hp on spray. Run 91 to 93 pump hi test. I like the basic NOS 125 POWER SHOT,as a beginner kit.Run the microswitch on the throttle,as per instructions. Need W.F.O,before you hit it. Prepare for the new drug.......:burnout::prayer:

Wouldn't hurt to run a complete separate fuel system for the nitrous. Pump, filter, lines and all. That will drastically decrease the chances of running lean.

-
Back