340 .040 Bore Okay?

-
I've done several and like RB, I did find a pattern with the early 360 bocks. More consistent and thicker than the later blocks. Not every one, but most by a good margin. I tested probably 6 or 7, I don't remember. It's been several years ago. I just recently got a sonic tester myself and will be testing all of the blocks I have here. As mentioned above, I've already tested the slant 6 block for my next build and it is ridiculously thick. It is also the "BH" casting block, which is rumored to be thicker....but you know how rumors are.

I have heard of guys going to .080 on a 340, but as mentioned above, the block must be sonic checked by a good, trusted machine shop and you're taking a real risk. I've never gone beyond .040 personally.
Wouldn't 0.80 be a custom made piston

I recently purchased a 340 engine that was “completely rebuilt” that the original engine builder said would be a great engine. Engine had sat for a few years / never installed. Thought I would do some checking before putting it into my dart. Fortunately i did. The list of issues I found are too many to list. Tearing the engine completely down. Variations exist with the bore size in each cylinder. Hard to believe! The largest .030 with rust. I know plan on having it bored to .040. Is this too much for a 1971 340 block? Will I run into overheating problems? Thanks in advance for any information.
I just got off the phone with the machine shop owner who is working on my +.040" 70 340 block. He was roughing in the bores and found a sleeve in the #4 cylinder already. He is going to sonic check the block as he is getting ready to replace that sleeve because he did not like how it was installed 24-25 years ago by another shop. After the sonic check, he is planning on going to +.050" on the bores and purchasing custom pistons.
Sonic check it!

Last edited:
They make .060 over pistons, I've used several sets, I have a set here I will use in the future .

IMG_20230322_111826_057.jpg

I saved these pistons to use on a personal motor because of the weight reduction method used by someone we know, that builds killer engines .
Look deep into the piston .

IMG_20230322_111912_667.jpg

IMG_20230322_112103_481.jpg

IMG_20230322_112344_741.jpg

The factory said you could go .040.. that's the only thing I know there is thats written in stone. LOL
Everyone is right ...only a Sonic test will proove/tell you . Late '70s 360s were pretty bad . .040 over was iffy. Had the entire cylinder go away, no.5...
Roll the dice and risk paying it twice.....or pay now.

They didn't have sonic testing avail till mid?70s .
Lotta 340 motors running around .060 over, I got maybe near a dozen out there , still running 40+ yrs later .

Last edited:
I knew I had never, in all the decades seeing a .040 limit on small blocks, so I went to my trusty Engine Manual to check, concerned I may missed it.
If piston manufacturers made .060 pistons, you can be pretty sure they researched it first .
Cheers

IMG_20230323_112515_434~2.jpg

-
Back