340 90* oil adapter gaskets

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
In the pic there are two gaskets, the brass looking is left over for another build.The gaskets i just got have 1 that looks different than the outer,it looks like metal in the middle and gasket material on booth sides.I assume that it goes on that big bolt,there is a cork gasket that goes inside the housing.

004.JPG

The thin one goes at the head of the bolt. The thick cork looking one goes on the oil side of the adapter. Between the block and adapter.

Thanks Joe,i am thinking to rtv the cork to the housing.What ya think.
why ?

it goes together like this,

grab the bolt, install the thin metal washer
slide on the adapter
slide the little cork gasket around the bolt
install the large round one (looks like aircleaner base gasket) with some gasakin or whatever it is called, the sticky stuff
bolt it down

torque values differ between cast iron and aluminum adapters

there should be three gaskets. You are missing the big gasket. It goes between the block and adaptor.

oh, on a side note, I like to slap on a filter so I can see it doesn't interfere with anything, then hold (or better yet, have someone hold) a crescent wrench on the adapter from the top to keep it from shifting and ripping the larger gasket as you torque down the bolt

What happens if you don't use the inner cork gasket? I don't recall my 340 ever having one.

-
Back