other eng tc or are their similar interchange
parts?

Might have a poss bad 904 and or tc. Looking
for options to swap it out for another 904
or 727. What vehicles can I grab one from
and which tc will work? Are 340 tc diff than
other eng tc or are their similar interchange
parts?

727 tc are different than 904. just make sure the 904 you get is for a small block,not 6 cyl.
Also look for a non lock-up..

Small block 727 and 904 transmissions will bolt up. As mentioned by the previous poster, a non-lock-up convert/trans combo is preferred. They (trans./converter) go together and do not interchange. But having a 340, if it's OEM with a forged crank, you need a neutral balanced converter. Cast crank 340's are externally balanced, as noted on the balancer/damper counterweight, and require a "340 only" externally balanced converter. Or you can use a neutral converter with the proper B&M flex plate for 340 cast crank applications. (LA 360's and Magnums use a different external balance.)

Lock-up trans/converters started in the late '70's. Converter may look a bit different, but I don't know how to tell if in the car. Lock-ups have about 3/4" of the input shaft tip machined smooth.

727 and 904 are also different lengths requiring different driveshafts and there are a few different flexplate/converter bolt patterns that you may need to match up if swapping parts around.

Keeping it 904 will not introduce a few more headaches you don't need right now. Since you have a neutral balance 340, grab the trans and converter from any '68-'77 smallblock and it will bolt in, no problems. Doesn't matter which car you find it in...

-
Back