340 air cleaner w/ delete plates?

-

hanging10

Reaction score
Couldn't help myself and clicked the "buy it now" for this air cleaner today. It will be a couple of days before I have it in my hand so all I have to go on are these photos from the listing.

It looks as if it's a '72 340 cleaner with the flapper in the bottom rear of the base. However, the warm air intake is deleted as well as its vacuum actuator.
This is perfectly fine with me since I'm going to run headers on this engine and won't have any stove to connect the hose to.

The bottom delete is orange and the top is black....
Has anyone seen a similar delete before?

I guess it's a hack from a previous owner with headers but I thought I should ask.

Attachments

• 340_delete02.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 227
  • 340_delete01.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 340_delete03.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 218
That's what I think too. Looking at it again, I'm thinking the orange patch on the underside might actually be the door that goes in the snorkel.
About price dropping - well, that's why I bought it :)

That's what I think too. Looking at it again, I'm thinking the orange patch on the underside might actually be the door that goes in the snorkel.
About price dropping - well, that's why I bought it :)

I bet under the top plates are the factory holes. So you would get a vacumm actuator of a 2bbl air cleaner and probably make it look more original. Then bondo/weld up the 4 screw holes.

But someone cut off the tube that the hot air hose goes over. That might be the same as the 2bbl too. But you would have to weld and bondo that in.

IMHO, easy to make it look correct on top. But maybe not cost effective to put the effort to fix the cut off tube.

What do they typically sell for correct original?

What did you buy this one for?

In most people's eyes, I probably payed to much but I've got a happy "buy it now" finger...
I payed $50 - I had been looking for a '72 with the flapper and been wondering what to do with the tube just going nowhere. So when I saw this one and it was the cheapest I've seen, I bought it.

Now, there is one with a "buy it now" of $289 + $83 shipping to Sweden and that's a '73 w/o the flapper. That one looks fully restored.

There is another one with some dings and blemishes starting at $70 - he doesn't ship to Sweden though...

What they normally go for, I don't know.

Putting the actuator from a 2bbl cleaner I have is something that I've allready been thinking of! I would probably leave the tube deleted for now.

Not bad I bought a 72 340 one that was restored for 100 bucks best deal all year.
You could cut snorkle off completely and make it into a flapper base Hi-Po air cleaner that just had 2 holes where the dual snorkels would be. Been wantin to do that but havent found a trap door air cleaner that is in rough shape on snorkel

-
Back