340 Block work

-

Newf

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have aquired a 340 engine that I want to turn into a 416 Stroker, I'm wondering if I need an align hone because I will be putting in a new crank? Also, should I have the decks trued?? Thanks all.

Joe

Depending on your budget,i would say yes to both questions. I checked my 418" alignment straigtness before it went to the machineshop,and i even installed ARP studs. I put the bearings in,torqued it down and there was no binding and it felt good,so i did not have it align honed. I would definately get it decked though,although you could get away with that also,if the deck is within tolerance and you are not running a lot of compression.

Glen

Depending on your budget,i would say yes to both questions. I checked my 418" alignment straigtness before it went to the machineshop,and i even installed ARP studs. I put the bearings in,torqued it down and there was no binding and it felt good,so i did not have it align honed. I would definately get it decked though,although you could get away with that also,if the deck is within tolerance and you are not running a lot of compression.

Glen

I was planning on 10:1 compression so I can run it on pump gas, This is not going to be a budget build though. I'm hoping I can make between 400-430hp if I can and still be streetable. I should probably do the full meal deal then, Decked, Bore and Align hone.

I think you will be smart to go ahead and have your block checked over and the machine work done as you have mentioned above.

Regardless if it's a budget build or not, in this day of cnc equipment, there is no reason NOT to have bores, decks, etc trued and squared.

Its a must to do the mains if you are changing to studs, which you should consider a must with a stroker engine.

Having the decks done is also a Very good idea(a must do in my shop). They can be quite far off from the factory.

As decribed in the posts, it's a good idea to have everything checked before throwing money into a rebuild regardless of your budget. If someone bought the block and put other main caps on it, you will never know until you try to assemble it.

-
Back