340 blocks

-
For a stroker, I think the blocks themselves are all the same, mag and sonic check is in order no matter what year. I used a '73 340 Block and my 30yr machinist said he'd never seen a 340 with walls as thick. my guess is its a crapshoot on how the casting of blocks went on any given day back then.
Only thing I know for sure is 73 was down on compression and had a cast crank, neither things that applied to my build.
I'm sure if I've fed you any miss information someone will correct it ASAP.

Nope, its a crap shoot. Most 340 blocks are just that, crap. They are the worst of the bunch. I have had to sleeve more 340 blocks than any other, even ones that are std bore due to excessive core shift and poor machine work from the factory. Why these crappy 340 blocks command the higher price tag is beyond me. I only use them when the Customer "has to have one".

..i have read the '70 blocks have the highest nickel content and the cu in stamp relates to number of casting runs.
i.e. 340-1 would be the first run and i have seen these bring $800
a 340 -8 might be priced at $ 200.
i don't know if any of this is true.

I have heard Early 360 blocks have thick walls... they supposedly used the same cast as the 340, until the 340 was discontinued.

When you buy a 340, you are basically getting a 360 cylinder core already bored .040 over. Im sure the core shift has been more pronounced in these thinner blocks as well. Plus you know all of them have been run hard in their past lives, why anyone would have bought a 340 and not flogged it is beyond human nature. If I was a betting man, I would shoot for a 68-70 block if at all possible. There is a T/A that needs a cylinder sleeved somewhere here or "there" for $400..?

Why would you spend the extra $ on a 340 then stroke it.
spend less on a 360 and stroke that.

Nope, its a crap shoot. Most 340 blocks are just that, crap. They are the worst of the bunch. I have had to sleeve more 340 blocks than any other, even ones that are std bore due to excessive core shift and poor machine work from the factory. Why these crappy 340 blocks command the higher price tag is beyond me. I only use them when the Customer "has to have one".

why do they work so much better from factory if there crap?:banghead:
MRL performance must be a chebby boy...

340 blocks were cast of the same cores as early 318's as i see it. So the bore was already stretched a bit. If you don't need a numbers matching block i would look for a 360, that once checked, can easily take a .030-.040 overbore and use that. Much cheaper in the long run.....jmo.

why do they work so much better from factory if there crap?:banghead:
MRL performance must be a chebby boy...

Really? Mopar only here buddy. I havnt touched a chevy in 20 years.

Why did the 340 run so great from the factory? Many reasons, until 1973 when they started building them like the rest of the pigs.

340's back in the day ran good.

good 340 blocks are hard to find, good 318 blocks are a dime a dozen. If your in the business of building-selling engines, you want your customers to believe they are getting the best engine possible.

So put down the 340 all U want, some of us understand why

good 340 blocks are hard to find, good 318 blocks are a dime a dozen. If your in the business of building-selling engines, you want your customers to believe they are getting the best engine possible.

So put down the 340 all U want, some of us understand why

Ok whatever .... I know mike & mike is the man on the 340 engine and his shop is one of the best out there. customer service is very good let me tell you.. he has helped me a ton on my engine bulid.. just my two cents here. the 340 block i like it and it a choose. yep the 318 are dime a dozen got two in my garage.

-
Back