340 broken at starter side locating ear

-

motobro

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 340 that is broken at the ear on the starter side.
I have a friend thats a great welder, I need to talk to him about it.
How many of you have had this problem and have fixed it with any luck ??
I know welding cast metal is very tricky and relocting the holes is even harder.
The 3rd photo is the good side.

Attachments

• DSCN1224.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCN1225.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCN1226.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 300
Twenty years ago my Dart that had a 340/727 blew out the front ujoint at 70mph. Broke the transmission into 5 pieces and broke that same mounting ear. I pulled the engine and had a welding shop fix it for me. You couldn't even tell when it was done.

If the centering dowl fits in there snug still?????? then i wouldn't worry much about it. if its loose the transmission won't be center and cause all kinds of problems.

missing one bolt is not the problem, the Dowl pin is!

If the centering dowl fits in there snug still?????? then i wouldn't worry much about it. if its loose the transmission won't be center and cause all kinds of problems.

missing one bolt is not the problem, the Dowl pin is!

X2 on the dowel! You could still actually use a bolt in the old hole with a big flat washer. See how the dowel fits!!

X2 on the dowel! You could still actually use a bolt in the old hole with a big flat washer. See how the dowel fits!!

This is actually a good idea if the motor was still in the car.

If you dont have the broken piece you could weld a dowel in with not much difficulty.
When welding cast pre-heat the metal, use a high nickle rod with a stick welder, and post-heat. Heating cast up and down slowly is the key to prevent cracking.

Mine looks exactly the same as yours. I put the engine together as is and have not had a problem. This is on a 6-71 blower engine with 650 to 700 HP and 600+ TQ. My machinist said it wouldn't be a problem. I used a larger washer for the bolt.

Jack

In searching through posts and talking to people, it seems to be very common.
I sent the pics to friend who works a metal fab welding business, he said he could do it no problem. They weld cast stuff all the time.

-
Back