340 build advice

-

CUDACOX

Reaction score
Hi all, I picked up some new 30 over pistons in Carlise.They are from what I have looked up...8.5 CR L2385F Fed/Mog.I have the 1971 340 all stock that I bought at the end of the winter.I want to build a nice street engine for pump gas that will make about 375 H.P. I will be using the stock J heads Comp Cam 286/491.
I have a LD340 intake to use.Any advice would be great! Please keep in mind I'm on a fairly low budget.Thanks in advance!! Craig.

More compression. The stock 340 made 100 less HP with a lot more compression and not much less cam. I'm willing to bet Comp recommends at least 9.5 for that cam.

Yep you need to get into the 10+ range and esp with more cam buddy:)

You can gain some with head milling, but i would look to Ross etc for a nice set of forged higher compression pistons as a start and maybe open up the j heads with larger exh valves if you want to get into the hp per cu inch range.

That would make for a great nitrous motor Craig. You'd get there and then some then.

Try the aftermarket magnum heads,closed chambered heart shaped combustion chambers, 1 6 rocker ratio, best flowing smallblock head( better than any L A),pedastal or shaft mounted rockers, LA or magnum intake, Indy designed possible complete kit heads ,intake, bolts or studs ,gaskets .

O.K. Does any great member have a new or nice set of used 30 over 9.5/10.1 340 pistons for sale?? Please let me know. Thanks, Craig.

-
Back