340 cam break in

-

aaron68s

Reaction score
Getting ready to finish my 340 assembly. for breaking the cam in I was thinking about using the low ratio factory rockers, then after break in install the inner springs and my adjustable rockers. Is this a good idea??

oh ya i forgot to mention. I am using MP thin gaskets and .030 is milled off the heads, will the factory pushrods be to long to use for break in purposes only?

Outstanding on both.More importantly,what oil on break in.And is this a new engine build?

Outstanding on both.More importantly,what oil on break in.And is this a new engine build?
the short block has around 1500-2000 miles on it. i pulled the heads and had some work done to them, changed the cam, lifters, springs, intake and carb. i'm using Joe Gibbs breakin oil

unless you have something crazy going with milling on heads or block your right on track. that'll be the best bet for breaking the cam. wouldn't hurt to check the lifter preload before you fire it up but you sound like you have it under control

Go for it.That cam,nice grind. The valvetrain might be noisy,at break in.The quick action ramps,are fussy on preload.Just a heads up,might take you a couple adjustments..

unless you have something crazy going with milling on heads or block your right on track. that'll be the best bet for breaking the cam. wouldn't hurt to check the lifter preload before you fire it up but you sound like you have it under control
just MP thin gaskets .024 compressed i believe, and .030 milled off the heads..by the way your dart looks bad ***!!!

-
Back