340 cam in a 318

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I have a question about putting a 340 cam in a 318. From what I've found out, the 340 cam has a ivc point of 69* and this brings down the dcr to like 6.63:1 ( 18 psi lower cylinder pressure than a stock 318 cam ). Wouldn't this hurt performance rather than help? I based this on a 1973 318 with a 8.6:1 cr. Did I figure something wrong or have the wrong information?

318 will be faster with a 340 cam vs the stock 318 cam.
At what rpm? How about needing a converter and/or rear gears to make it work. (318 with a 340 cam and nothing else) Asking for a friend.
:lol::lol: Another 318 cam thread. Here we go again.

Last edited:
We put an ol " Radical Resto", the MP 340 cam in a 318, went in a truck w/ 4:10s, same mill we then put in a Ramcharger. Both pretty wicked fun....

I guess I'm assuming at least a 4bbl and dual exhaust, why would one install a 340 cam and leave the 2bbl on there. I haven't experienced a 340 cam with the factory 318 2bbl. I'd guess it would run just fine but .... .. .

I'd bet the 340 cam would do just fine with a stock 318 2bbl on top, I just haven't tried that.
We haven't either, over the years playing with these things. The Lil motor mentioned earlier had a eddy dual plane, headers, electronic ign, a darn good set of heads, and a 650 Holley

I'd bet the 340 cam would do just fine with a stock 318 2bbl on top, I just haven't tried that.
I don't have enough guts to try. For me it's a lot of work if it doesn't work good. Which 340 cam? I think I am going to bow out and just watch along. This would be a good You Tube series to do. A stock teen with a 2 barrel and put a 340 spec cam in it. See what it does.

I don't have enough guts to try. For me it's a lot of work if it doesn't work good. Which 340 cam? I think I am going to bow out and just watch along. This would be a good You Tube series to do. A stock teen with a 2 barrel and put a 340 spec cam in it. See what it does.
I doubt I would do the 340 cam with a 2bbl with plans of leaving it a 2bbl. That's like polishing primer. I'd do just a 4bbl first and leave the stock 318 cam in before I did the reverse. Means the OP didn't state it, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he'll be using a 4bbl.

I just finished up putting a 340 AT cam in my 273 Commando. 3k stall converter, 3:91 rear gear, Edelbrock D4B intake and 650 AVS carb with Doug's headers. Definitely woke that little 273 Commando up. 65'

Gotta agree on the " lots of work for unknown results " things. Back in the late 80s when I got in it, I kept after the locals that were doing it in the 70s. Helped Bigtime for parts selection, not wasting money/ time, longevity, and intended use

I have a question about putting a 340 cam in a 318. From what I've found out, the 340 cam has a ivc point of 69* and this brings down the dcr to like 6.63:1 ( 18 psi lower cylinder pressure than a stock 318 cam ). Wouldn't this hurt performance rather than help? I based this on a 1973 318 with a 8.6:1 cr. Did I figure something wrong or have the wrong information?
I hope you are paying attention and get back to your thread so you can answer some questions. :BangHead::BangHead:

LOL... and with all the cams available.
Someone get me a black and white TV!!

If you already have the 340 cam, and a guy is on a 2 nickel budget, it's a great cam for a 318.

Every time I've done it, they run like a scalded dog. TQ intake with the TQ, headers, and at least a 3.23 gear. Always with Chrysler electronic ignition.

-
Back