340 Cam with Stock 360 Springs?

-

GTX MATT

Reaction score
Would stock 360 springs work okay with a 340 cam? The 360 is an 80s engine, low mileage. I figure even though the compression is less, the extra cubes will boost the cylinder pressure and Ill have more torque from them, and it should perform about the way a 340 would.

Matt

Matt, Stock 360 4bbls used the 340 cam. I would put fresh springs in it regardless. I believe I have a spring compressor to remove them with the heads on. I'll be glad to give you a hand in the spring.

Maybe not that late. I know they used it as late as 78. Either way if your motor has been rebuilt Im willing to bet the cams been swapped.

I would stab a XE262 in it.

Also be sure it doesn't have valve rotators on it, especially if the engine came from a truck.
alan627b

Maybe not that late. I know they used it as late as 78. Either way if your motor has been rebuilt Im willing to bet the cams been swapped.

I would stab a XE262 in it.

I was thinking the 262 or 268, but I was thinking if the 340 cam would work with my springs Id get one from PAW and save the money of buying new springs. I actually have a compressor too but thanks for the offer.

Are the 340 springs really that cheap? I think the springs for the CompXEs are about 90 a pair.

The XE series will need a decent spring. I run the comp singles (901s?) with my XE262.

-
Back