340 cam

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
Is there a cam company that will grind a 340 cam to exact factory specs? I've looked but what I've found were close, I'm probably not looking in the right place. I'm researching on building a car for pure stock drag racing and the rules say that stock parts are mandatory except for the pistons.

You need to study the rule book.
Lunati and a couple other places make the stock replacement cam for the NHRA Stocker class. The stocker class cam is like 460 intake lift in 470 exhaust lift and any duration.
I think roller rocker arms are allowed now. And you can run stainless steel valves in place of the old tulip valves. There are several changes that are allowed that are considered stock. Basically I think the new stock class is the old super stock class.

I doubt any of the big cam companies will regrind a FT cam. Crane cams, now part of Comp, used to have reproduction 'Blueprint' cams. 275hp/340 cam #2899206

This is the stocker cam.

[/URL]

Screenshot_20230612-004206_Chrome.jpg

You need to study the rule book.
Lunati and a couple other places make the stock replacement cam for the NHRA Stocker class. The stocker class cam is like 460 intake lift in 470 exhaust lift and any duration.
I think roller rocker arms are allowed now. And you can run stainless steel valves in place of the old tulip valves. There are several changes that are allowed that are considered stock. Basically I think the new stock class is the old super stock class.
Is the stocker class the same as pure stock drag racing? I'm thinking that the last rule book I saw was 2022 and it said that roller rockers were not allowed and valve's had to be same as the factory used. I'm going to look for the 2023 rule book

If stock parts are mandatory, then the cam in post #4 isn't....
True. The class that I'm researching is called pure stock muscle car drag racing. The pistons can be aftermarket as a 1.5 increase in the compression ratio is allowed. No headers and the ignition system has to be stock, a curve kit is allowed. Quality machine work and high tuning skills are important. Any gear ratio can be used. 2200 rpm stall converter is the most that is allowed. I'm thinking that it would be fun as you have to get the best performance from what the engine came with from the factory. Since the high performance 360's have the 340 cam and heads that it would be a good choice for a build. With the 340's having different compression ratios was the intake valve closing point changed or the LSA, overlap, etc?

True. The class that I'm researching is called pure stock muscle car drag racing. The pistons can be aftermarket as a 1.5 increase in the compression ratio is allowed. No headers and the ignition system has to be stock, a curve kit is allowed. Quality machine work and high tuning skills are important. Any gear ratio can be used. 2200 rpm stall converter is the most that is allowed. I'm thinking that it would be fun as you have to get the best performance from what the engine came with from the factory. Since the high performance 360's have the 340 cam and heads that it would be a good choice for a build. With the 340's having different compression ratios was the intake valve closing point changed or the LSA, overlap, etc?
I don't think that you're talking about the NHRA stock class.
You're talking about the Pure Stock muscle car drag race.

Last edited:
Go to a race and talk to the other racers. Ask them for who to get a cam ground from.

I would think that the Melling SPD-22 would work if. It's specs are close to the 1968 four speed cam.
DODGE Melling SPD-22 Melling Stock Replacement Camshafts | Summit Racing
The advertised numbers are a little different, but that's sometimes due to different measuring techniques of different cam grinders.
As long as the .050 numbers and lift are the same and the advertised are within a couple of degrees, I would think that would be okay. Here is some extensive information regarding the subject of 340 stock replacement cams that may give you some definitive answers:

340 cam specs?

That’s the exact cam I was going to be recommended and I just got it myself. It’ll be a little while before I install it.

I worked with Ken at Oregon cams to make a replica grind of the factory 68 340 4 speed cam. He also has a stock 340 automatic cam available...

Reproduction 340-4 Speed Cam

I worked with Ken at Oregon cams to make a replica grind of the factory 68 340 4 speed cam. He also has a stock 340 automatic cam available...

Reproduction 340-4 Speed Cam
Thanks for the info. I looked at the 2120 cam and the duration is correct but the lift is over spec, the lift has to be as factory which is .429 /.444. I'll have to contact them to see if they can grind a exact 340 repo cam.

-
Back