340 crank with 318 harmonic balancer?

-
Did the shop have the balancer when they assembled the engine? It sounds like they knew what they were doing from what you said.
No they didnt have the balancer. Or at least not that I remember. We probably told them we were using the 318 one and they ran with it.

Okay, I marked the balancer and revved the engine a few hard times and it never spun the outer ring.
SO, I guess when we thought it spun, it was becuase the timing mark wasnt visible when we went to time it. (This was years ago before life happened, I'm just now getting back to the girl) So, this tells me from what you folks have said, it's a late 60s 340 crank and was supposed to have a timing mark at the 10 o'clock position. We timed it by ear at the time (yeah, I know) and got it running decent, but would love to get it spot on.
So, does anyone know if they sell a bolt-on timing tab for the other side so I dont have to replace my timing chain cover?
Also, I've got a new trans mount coming. And I noticed my less than a rear old hi performance engine mounts are now sagging, but not ripped in half. I hate the 72 engine mount design...
If you guys have ideas of how to stop that, I'm all ears. Lol
I'll let you guys know if the new mounts solve my vibration issues!

No they didnt have the balancer. Or at least not that I remember. We probably told them we were using the 318 one and they ran with it.

Okay, I marked the balancer and revved the engine a few hard times and it never spun the outer ring.
SO, I guess when we thought it spun, it was becuase the timing mark wasnt visible when we went to time it. (This was years ago before life happened, I'm just now getting back to the girl) So, this tells me from what you folks have said, it's a late 60s 340 crank and was supposed to have a timing mark at the 10 o'clock position. We timed it by ear at the time (yeah, I know) and got it running decent, but would love to get it spot on.
So, does anyone know if they sell a bolt-on timing tab for the other side so I dont have to replace my timing chain cover?
Also, I've got a new trans mount coming. And I noticed my less than a rear old hi performance engine mounts are now sagging, but not ripped in half. I hate the 72 engine mount design...
If you guys have ideas of how to stop that, I'm all ears. Lol
I'll let you guys know if the new mounts solve my vibration issues!
If you have good access to the timing tab that is on the motor currently then the easiest way is to find tdc and remark the balancer. If you don't know how to do that I can explain it for you. Even if you put a bolt on tab on the other side you should still verify tdc.

I have a passenger side timing indicator should you need/want one. As mentioned by 92b, you should still verify top dead center once you bolt it down. A piston stop is the best way.

Wow,
I have never heard of or seen a TDC piston stop tool before, this is a game changer!
Thanks!
I appreciate all the help guys!!

I believe I bought my TDC tool at Summit.
You could make one fairly easy, knock the porcelain off an old spark plug, and thread the inside of the plug for a bolt thread.

I believe I bought my TDC tool at Summit.
You could make one fairly easy, knock the porcelain off an old spark plug, and thread the inside of the plug for a bolt thread.
Are mopar spark plugs 14mm thread?
Google arrived me at that, but seems weird.
My heads are 302 heads.

-
Back