340 Duster running hot

-

Skeven33

Reaction score
built 340 11.5:1, edelbrock aluminum heads, march pulleys,jegs high flow water pump, 180 thermostat. stock 340 radiator freshly redone.
electric fan no shroud.

Got through break in but car heats within five to ten minutes over 200 degrees. Looking at an aluminum radiator and trying to decide whether it will help my heating issue and also trying to decide between a single and dual pass. any help or information would be appreciated.

Scott

Had the same problem in my '68 340-S. Put a shroud on it first. Next what kind of pump? Some work well on the street and others don't. Make sure the fuel matches the compression and timing is correct. I am now at 180 and that is with a 6-pack hood scoop.

What kind of fuel should i be running with that kind of compression? i also have the six pack fiberglass hood. what kind of radiator were you running to keep your 340 cool?

I am having similar issues. My intention is not to hijack this thread, but to see if we can get these issues straightened out together. I also have a 340, however mine is stroked to 416 cubic inches, bored .030 over, with edelbrock heads march pulleys and also a 180 hi flow thermostat, and I also have the six pack hood on my duster. My timing is set at 38* total, which is where the dyno said she liked it best. So some pretty good similarities here. However, I am running a stock waterpump, but with an aluminum circle track radiator and a derale electric fan and aluminum shroud, flows around 2400 cfm I believe.

Now, my car will take a while to warm up, maybe drive for 5 miles before it hits 180 and the fan and thermostat come in. Now mind you I have 3.91 gears so that five miles is at 3000 rpm, so I dont think that is too bad. When I get into town and I am running 180*, I will run there all day long as long as I'm idling or driving though town slow i.e. 35 mph. But, once I get out on the open road again, the temp gauge will climb, eventually to 210, 215*, maybe taking 15-20 miles to get there. Now, once it is at that temperature, if I slow back down, to say 35 mph again, then it will take FOREVER for the temperature to come back down to 195 or so. Its almost like once I get it warm, it doesnt wanna come back down without a fight. I dont think 210 or 215 is gonna hurt my engine, it wont, but its on the warm side for my tastes. Id like to get it down around 195 operating temperature.

These are a couple of things that I know are hurting me

1. Stock water pump is obviously a weak point. My engine dynoed at 465 hp on pump gas, so I increased the hp over stock by around 60%, however I did not increase my coolant flow at all.

2. I have my B&M transmission cooler mounted on the front of my radiator which is impeding flow going down the road, but unfortunately on the small duster there isnt much room to mount it anywhere else where it will be in front of the fan, and with my 3500 stall converter, my 727 stays below 170* all the time, so Id like to keep it there.

3. I contacted Mezier about their electric water pumps and their engineer said that my 6 pack hood is hurting my temps bad, because all the air rammed into that scoop is filling the engine bay and fighting the air trying to come across the radiator. He said to seal the hood to the engine. I am not sure about these claims, but it is easy enough to get some foam and block off the scoop just to see if it lowers my temps.

Since my car is only on the edge of running hot, I am going to drain the coolant and fill it back up with only distilled water and water wetter since it is summer, and obviously it will be drained before it gets cold here in ohio. I believe this should drop me 10-15 degrees. I will let you know my results.

Finally, I also considered that my head gasket may be leaking, however if it is its a very small leak, because I dont really lose any coolant and my oil was nice, free of sheen or anything when I drained it (engines got 700 miles). And quite frankly the engine runs too damn good to be losing any significant compression. So to be on the safe side I am going to do a leak down test on my engine to rule head gasket out.

Skeven33, I hope that this information has maybe sparked an idea or two for you so that you can drive and enjoy your car. Now, maybe if some other members chime in with their experience and help us out we can both get our cars under 200 degrees on the hot days

built 340 11.5:1, edelbrock aluminum heads, march pulleys,jegs high flow water pump, 180 thermostat. stock 340 radiator freshly redone.
electric fan no shroud.

Got through break in but car heats within five to ten minutes over 200 degrees. Looking at an aluminum radiator and trying to decide whether it will help my heating issue and also trying to decide between a single and dual pass. any help or information would be appreciated.

Scott

Had overheating with my 340 as well.

I upped the fan size from 17' to 19' flex and threw in a aluminum radiator from a beamer of all things, worked like a charm stays at 1/3 gauge now.

All kinds of cars in the wrecking yard with sometimes brand new aluminum radiators, all you need is the right width and in's & out's and $40-$50

I am having similar issues. My intention is not to hijack this thread, but to see if we can get these issues straightened out together. I also have a 340, however mine is stroked to 416 cubic inches, bored .030 over, with edelbrock heads march pulleys and also a 180 hi flow thermostat, and I also have the six pack hood on my duster. My timing is set at 38* total, which is where the dyno said she liked it best. So some pretty good similarities here. However, I am running a stock waterpump, but with an aluminum circle track radiator and a derale electric fan and aluminum shroud, flows around 2400 cfm I believe.

Now, my car will take a while to warm up, maybe drive for 5 miles before it hits 180 and the fan and thermostat come in. Now mind you I have 3.91 gears so that five miles is at 3000 rpm, so I dont think that is too bad. When I get into town and I am running 180*, I will run there all day long as long as I'm idling or driving though town slow i.e. 35 mph. But, once I get out on the open road again, the temp gauge will climb, eventually to 210, 215*, maybe taking 15-20 miles to get there. Now, once it is at that temperature, if I slow back down, to say 35 mph again, then it will take FOREVER for the temperature to come back down to 195 or so. Its almost like once I get it warm, it doesnt wanna come back down without a fight. I dont think 210 or 215 is gonna hurt my engine, it wont, but its on the warm side for my tastes. Id like to get it down around 195 operating temperature.

These are a couple of things that I know are hurting me

1. Stock water pump is obviously a weak point. My engine dynoed at 465 hp on pump gas, so I increased the hp over stock by around 60%, however I did not increase my coolant flow at all.

2. I have my B&M transmission cooler mounted on the front of my radiator which is impeding flow going down the road, but unfortunately on the small duster there isnt much room to mount it anywhere else where it will be in front of the fan, and with my 3500 stall converter, my 727 stays below 170* all the time, so Id like to keep it there.

3. I contacted Mezier about their electric water pumps and their engineer said that my 6 pack hood is hurting my temps bad, because all the air rammed into that scoop is filling the engine bay and fighting the air trying to come across the radiator. He said to seal the hood to the engine. I am not sure about these claims, but it is easy enough to get some foam and block off the scoop just to see if it lowers my temps.

Since my car is only on the edge of running hot, I am going to drain the coolant and fill it back up with only distilled water and water wetter since it is summer, and obviously it will be drained before it gets cold here in ohio. I believe this should drop me 10-15 degrees. I will let you know my results.

Finally, I also considered that my head gasket may be leaking, however if it is its a very small leak, because I dont really lose any coolant and my oil was nice, free of sheen or anything when I drained it (engines got 700 miles). And quite frankly the engine runs too damn good to be losing any significant compression. So to be on the safe side I am going to do a leak down test on my engine to rule head gasket out.

Skeven33, I hope that this information has maybe sparked an idea or two for you so that you can drive and enjoy your car. Now, maybe if some other members chime in with their experience and help us out we can both get our cars under 200 degrees on the hot days

I know you got stroke but 38* is high jmo. how about vac advance?
Run mostly water if you can and what brand convertor?

not sure the cfm on my electric fan, it is quite big and moves quite a bit of air. just installed a flex fan and shroud to go with the electric fan hopefully it will cool a little better. im looking into an aluminum radiator if this doesnt work.any recommendations on good aluminum radiator brand/styles? dual pass over single pass?

I like the jegs radiators.There efficient and a good deal.
funny thing is when you look up a universal top driver s. bottom pass it shows as chevy style.
And if you look up 'mopar69 earlier in/outs' uni, you get a ford style.lol

moparmade43, hopefully both of us can get our cars cool enough so that we can actually enjoy them. Gotta love this high performance stuff. just wondering with your edelbrock heads did you run into anyproblems getting anything else to fit such as headers? or getting valve covers to seal? My edelbrock heads have been a pain.

Im thinking the mopar ford style is for big block chryslers. cause i definately need the chevy style for my duster

Shrouds are you best friend and you must run a fan clutch. The factory put them on for a reason.
The shroud makes sure that all the air moved by the fan is pulled thru the radiator.
The fan clutch turns faster (locks up more) the hotter the air is (as in idling about in traffic) and slows down (slips) as the temp goes down. This way at highway speed, the fan is not blocking the air being rammed thru by vehicle speed.
Flex fans (just like non-fan clutched fans) block a lot of airflow at highway speeds and usuualy all they do is make your car sound like a B-17 on take-off roll.

Remember-- Shroud, fan clutch and factory A/C fans work great as a team.

electric fan no shroud.

Scott

Probably cool better with a stock water pump on the street. Compression is high if you are hammering on it with just pump gas. Make sure you are not lean.

High compression and running lean with pump gas that doesn't match your engine need is bad.

Remember.... The faster your coolant moves through your engine the less time it has to absorb heat. The less time it spends in the radiator the less time it has to dissipate that heat.

A fan shroud is a very important part of a cooling system... funny how people will spend out the butt on a radiator, fan, water pump..... but not have a shroud....

havent hammered on it yet. trying to put some miles on the motor before i do hammer on it. just drove it around the block a couple times and it heated. i dont think we are running lean. being only 17 i havent been around these cars as much so im not positive. how could i tell? also with that compression what fuel should i run?

havent hammered on it yet. trying to put some miles on the motor before i do hammer on it. just drove it around the block a couple times and it heated. i dont think we are running lean. being only 17 i havent been around these cars as much so im not positive. how could i tell? also with that compression what fuel should i run?

With that compression you will need (not optional) super pump gas just to cruse around. If you plan to race or get on it you will need a mix of something like 1/2 tank of super and 1/2 tank of 110 octane race fuel.

With 11 to 1 compression and Edelbrock heads you should still run premium fuel. Adding octane boost wouldn't hurt either. I kept having heating problems with my 360 with 10.5 to 1. When I stroked it I went with the 9.75 pistons and left everything else the same and I have no problems now.

For example.... My car. 11.7 to 1, 340. Original radiator, original fan shroud, Mopar Brand clutch fan. NAPA $30 water pump. 180 thermostat.....

My cooling system is basically stock.... I run the correct Race/Pump mix (if I push it). I run pump gas if I plan to do NOTHING but rumble around town. Timing is where it should be.... Carb fuel mixture correct....

Nothing fancy... Never gets even a little hot.

Destroy my engine? it runs just fine. no pinging. but it could be bad for the engine with no noticable effects while running low octane?

I like the jegs radiators.There efficient and a good deal.
funny thing is when you look up a universal top driver s. bottom pass it shows as chevy style.
And if you look up 'mopar69 earlier in/outs' uni, you get a ford style.lol

That's the ticket....get a Jegs Direct Fit Aluminum radiator....mine used to run 200-215 all the time with the stock type radiator, and when all the A/C equipment was still on it, but didn't work...I put the Jegs radiator in, took all the A/C stuff out, now it only sees 200 degrees at idle in traffic on a hot summer day. It usually stays around 180-190. Well worth it. Good luck!

Man I'm telling you...a shroud makes all the difference in the world. I was a non-believer.
I struggled with overheating for years until I finally gave in and bought a shroud. Thanks to 7demon2, now I am running a constant 185 degrees even on hot summer days.

That's the ticket....get a Jegs Direct Fit Aluminum radiator....mine used to run 200-215 all the time with the stock type radiator, and when all the A/C equipment was still on it, but didn't work...I put the Jegs radiator in, took all the A/C stuff out, now it only sees 200 degrees at idle in traffic on a hot summer day. It usually stays around 180-190. Well worth it. Good luck!

thanks i think thats the route im going to go and install a clutch fan. i just put on a shroud with a flex fan i had. hoping that will get me by until i buy my jegs radiator.

-
Back