340 EFI Questions...

-

RTom

Depressingly A-Bodyless..
Reaction score
So, I've currently got a 69 340 at the shop that I am slowly working on (as the money comes in). The plan is to make it 400+ hp at the end.

I really want to put a new hemi in my Dart, but I don't think that will happen for a long, long time.

What I'm wondering is, if I were to put an EFI system on my 340, would it be a good idea? Kinda lookin' for a poor guys version of a new hemi here. I know that EFI is supposed to help with fuel economy, fuel/O2 mixtures, cold running, etc., but would it be ideal on a 340? Would I just be wasting my time?

If it would work well, do you guys have any suggestions as far as complete EFI kits go? I know I saw one on Jeggs but I have no idea as to how good of quality it is...

Thanks guys :cheers:

:drinkers:

FAST and Performance Products make a perfect throttle body system that looks like a carb only uses 4 larger injectors and is good for between 550 and 600 hp.

You would still use a standard distributor as the timing wouldnt be controlled and you would need the appropriate efi fuel pump and regulator for it to work.

it basically keeps a perfect a/f ratio and will relearn any changes very quickly.
This eliminates any tuning.

I think if you want ease and trouble free operation, this is the way to go.
The typical standalone systems are a complete pain in the *** for a beginner to mess with.

The ones I mentioned are awesome.

its also VERY exspensive. your going to have a hard time finding a cheap efi system. you could take efi componenets off a later model small block then run megasquirt but its very hard to learn megasquirt. thats about the only cheap option i can think of.

you could also research and get a carb that wont use alot of fuel till you get on it and the secondaries open. then get a wideband air/fuel gauge and tune it.

LOL, I was just going through this with a fellow hot-rodder at work. He has about 15 years of age on me and wondered out loud to me why I was still messing around with carb's. I told him simply, expense. Even more so since he knows I'm messing around with T-Q's. Let's face it, if you can mess with a carb preety well, a $20 T-Q and a $35 rebuild kit is hard to beat price wise.

He told me he has the Holley Pro-Jection throttle body on his truck. He went on to say it is simple to set up and use/tune with the control box mounted in the cabin. For several years he's had it without trpouble.

For approx. $1600, this is cheap F.I. that works well.

We also had a member here that has not made an appearance in a long time that had the Holley Pro-Jection on his blown roller 360 making some real nice numbers until the block split in half, right down the cam journals.

You could take a look at the recent Mopar Performance 360 Magnum crate MPI setup. It only came out a year or two ago so it's not very well-known but it is intended to be used with the 390/395/405 HP crate 360 engines. Your 340 making 400 HP would probably be an easy match-up, not sure about costs though. Might wanna give MP or a big Mopar distributor (Mancini, etc.) a call.

-
Back