340 engine decoding

-

bbizelli

Reaction score
Hey guys im currently looking at a 340 block and the casting numbers are 2780930-340-2 and then date code i believe 5-31-72. But also it has large 4's stamped on it also. My main question is what does the large 4 represent and what is the -2 after 340 stand for? Any help is good thanks guys!

The 2 is beleived to be the number of castings not much value to most.The 4 ,I dont know maybe a pic would help.That went in a 73 car so it has the cast crank and less compression than the 68-71 340's.

could have been a late 1972 car engine, but still likely to be a cast crank and lower compression pistons from the factory.

could have been a late 1972 car engine,

I'd almost bet on it........And the possibility of a steel crank is better then 90% imo. I'm almost positive i've seen a 72' steel engines date coded after that. If i'm wrong then let the beating begin....lol.:violent1::violent1::violent1:.

I'd almost bet on it........And the possibility of a steel crank is better then 90% imo. I'm almost positive i've seen a 72' steel engines date coded after that. If i'm wrong then let the beating begin....lol.:violent1::violent1::violent1:.
From what I read the "car" build date was before april not the engine to have a forged crank.But I haven't done any first hand deep research,I was just looking around to see if my 72 cuda that was built in nov 71 had a forged or cast crank.And aren't late 72's actaully 73's as mine was built in nov.

From what I read the "car" build date was before april not the engine to have a forged crank.But I haven't done any first hand deep resaerch,I was just looking around to see if my 72 cuda that was built in nov 71 had a forged or cast crank.And aren't late 72's actaully 73's as mine was built in nov.

A Nov. engine build would surely be the next model year, but his is the last day of May and i believe the cut off on the car builds were in very late July. I may be wrong, but it will be cool to find out...:D.

This tell's the story....

Forged.....
View attachment 116.jpg

Cast.....
View attachment cast.jpg

A Nov. engine build would surely be the next model year, but his is the last day of May and i believe the cut off on the car builds were in very late July. I may be wrong, but it will be cool to find out...:D.
Just for clarification my car was built in nov.I haven't looked for the engine build date.Now you have given me something to look at with the balancers.

Just for clarification my car was built in nov.I haven't looked for the engine build date.Now you have given me something to look at with the balancers.

Your Cuda should definetely be forged if that's the original block. The cast 340's were used in the 73' models only as far as i know.

I have a 72 cuda 340 with a build date of 7/09/72, and it is a cast crank numbers match.

mopar410, you may be right as far as the late 72's being cast. Did a little snooping around and saw a few sites saying Apr. and later engines were cast? I give up....lol. Sometimes i wonder if certain plants didn't have more leftovers or not. Production lines in the early seventies....who knows :D.

Personally, I don't know when they switched to cast cranks, but I'm sure Chrysler would have used up their production run of forged cranks to save money...or when they ran out, they started using cast cranks...who knows?

bbizelli, not trying to neglect you :D. If you can determine that it's in decent shape and hasn't been bored more that .030 over, it's probably a good buy regardless if it's a forged or cast crank.

Well its just a bare block now and the guy has a cast and a forged crank he will be giving me with it. Its standard bore also all for 250 which i thought was a pretty good deal. Ill upload the pictures he sent me so you can see them.

With original main caps that's a good deal with the extra stuff.

Not that it matters what year the block is, they are all the basic piece. If you post up the numbers from the front of the block it will nail it down. If it's a 72 the first letter in that sequence should be a "H", 1973 will be a "J"

It's a late 72 or 1973 model year engine, that's for sure.

-
Back