340 engine help

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
Ok so I went to look at a 340 motor today that has been sitting in the back of this womans garage for what she says about 10 years now. It is not in a very easy place to see so I did my best to get the casting numbers on the drivers side and the other numbers on the passenger side down by the oil pan. I tried to get the numbers from the drivers side just below the head but I could not see a thing so those numbers I do not have. The casting numbers on the block on the drivers side read 2760930-340-4 the only number that I was not sure of was the 3rd didget it might have been a 3 if so then it was 2730930-340-4 and the passenger side numbers read 1B203129 which in some of the other threads that I have read means 1971, hamtramck, and the last 6 numbers of the vin from what ever car this motor came out of. Can anyone tell me what the casting numbers mean from the drivers side and anything else you might know about these numbers.
Thanks
Bob

It's likely out of a 71 Challenger

Could be a cuda.

71 Vintage, mid to 3/4 through the year judging by the sequence number being as high as (2)
I am thinking A body motor, "B" plant production in the Vin as well. The body it came from is no biggie anyway. The year and condition (Cylinder walls) over bore, cracked or whatever is really what matters 71 is a good year. That's about all your gonna get off what you read on the block.The only numbers you didn't get or see are the actual block casting date (opposite side of the block from the vin#) That is likely to be late 70 early to 71. Again no biggie.

If it has the original carb and idle solinoid those go for about $700. Good luck

OK Guys so I went over to the woman's house today and dug out that 340 I said that I could not get a good look at, here is what I found
Block casting numbers 2780930-340-4
Vin numbers 1B203129 1971 Hamtramck seq number 203129
left head pad GW340P33800614 1971 Windsor 340CI premium fuel 3380 day in production 0614 motor that day
Clock strait up at noon
Casting date 7-3-70
D for day shift
Now what to do with it, she said her husband had it gone through, he never got it in the car that he was building, you can see that it has not been fired up there is still over spray on the valve stems from when he painted it, it has a MOROSO oil pan on it looks like a 7 or 9 qt and also has a EDELBROCK TORKER 340 intake. That is all I know about this motor it is dusty but it looks new. Is there a way to put a value on something like this? What is it worth?
Thanks
Bob

Sitting that long did you see if it would turn over? If not oiled down good could be locked up even though never started.

Might be best to disassemble and check everything before trying to start

What does she want? Or are you trying to price it for her

Any receipts for what was done? If not, you should be able to use that to your advantage! Wildcat is right, it needs to be disassembled and checked from sitting for so long! Sounds like a $6-800 motor with no creds, if it has em, that may be a game changer! Geof

1000 $ and take it home. anything less would be a steal.
I would pull the oil pan and valve covers.
you should be able to see by inspecting internals, if the motor needs to be completely disassembled at that point. if everything looks good, check all torque specs and lubricate.
no need to disassemble a motor that was rebuilt 10 years ago, if it was.

I am going to pull all the plugs tomorrow and oil it down. I will keep doing this for a week. I don't even want to try and turn it right now. After about a week or so I will see if it will move and then just work it back and forth until it feels good, for all I know it might turn over just fine right now. I will post it up next week sometime and let you know how it went. Right now I have nothing to put it in so maybe down the road I will take it apart and give it a good look.
Bob

I did pull the valve covers and the rockers look like the day they were installed, they are spotless. All the freeze plugs are still nice and shinny, I don't see any rust on this motor at all. Even looking in the exhaust ports the valves don't look like they have any surface rust on them, but they do have some over spray like I said he did not cover them up too good when he painted this motor.
Bob

Not much to ad here except the engine vin. Starting with me 1B I believe its from a 71 cuda. Good luck and nice score.

Somebody in that area knew the man, did his machine work, sold him some parts. You might find .03 over pistons, rings, .010 under crank kit, etc.. under his name and or phone number at local part stores.

So what is she asking for it ?

Have you talked money with her yet ?

If he did his thing and she did her thing, she probably has no clue what its worth.
Advantage....Buyer.

Offer 300 cash and go from there. You keep goin over there lookin at it like it's a science project, she's gonna catch on it might be worth a lot. Just go buy it and be done with it.

She wanted to get rid of her husbands project and clear out the garage. When I first went to look at what she had she wanted more than what I was willing to pay but after letting her try to sell the stuff for two months and no bites I called her back and made her an offer which she took. She told me she needed the stuff out of the garage before winter. I went over to look at a 1974 scamp which was semi disassembled and the engine compartment was empty. That's when she told me about the engine that was back in the corner of the garage buried, her husband had plans of putting this motor in that car, but it never happened. So over the past few days I have been moving parts out of her garage into mine and the engine is in my garage on the stand that's how I got to see all the numbers. The scamp is rust free, the interior is in great shape, her husband took off the vinyl top, and it is going to need paint, but everything is there except the exhaust manifolds and the starter. I will be towing the body home on Friday, once it is home safe and sound I will take some pictures and show you guys what I came across. This is going to be this years winter project for me and as of right now I am not planing on putting the 340 in this car. I have plans on putting a 318 back in it that's what it had from the factory and it is an AC car and it looks like all the parts might be there. It's also a disc brake car. This has been brewing for a while, that's why I did not buy that 4 door dart that I showed you guys in the for sale ad.
Bob

Ok I have a little more info on this motor. When I was oiling up the cylinders I took the numbers off of the heads. I was told to look and see if there was a J,U or X on the heads near the plugs, none of those anywhere. On the outside the only thing I can find is a number 26 embossed between the first and second plug hole. On the inside the casting numbers on both heads is 3769974 next to that is a smaller number, on the left head it's 1634 and on the right head it's 1214. The clock on the left head is pointing to 9:00 and the right head is 10:00. Then a little further down the head at the top is embossed 360 on both sides, and under that are the letters AAWJ. Next to that is a small #123 with a little arrow pointing to the # 2 on both sides. On the left head only is a big embossed L. Any Info on these heads will help. Also don't think it'e any big deal but he had AcCel 117 plugs in it don't know if this means anything or not
Thanks
Bob

3769974 1975 1.88/1.60 360
3769974 1976 1.88/1.60 360

commonly referred to as 974 heads

you can put 2.02 valves in them, but the cost... probably the amount of gain may not be worth that kind of dough. could have been upgraded already

they will work as is if you just want to run it.

are you going to remeasure all the clearances and torques to make sure it's all correct? if you are going to do it yourself get larry shepherd's small block mopar rebuild book

or take it to a shop have them double check all the clearances and stuff. also make sure the oil plugs are in. see this thread: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=287231

OK guys as promised here are a few pictures of the 340 that came along with the 1974 Scamp that I just picked up.
Bob

Attachments

• 060.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 204
  • 061.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 062.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 063.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 064.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 234