340 engine oil consumption ???

-

pdust70

70 Duster, Caretaker
Reaction score
:help: My son's High School / early college project Got a 1970 340 engine that was sitting idel for 4.5 years as car belonged to my son who died of cancer @ 24. And I'm no motor man. After getting the bent push rod fixed and engine fired up. Its now using aprox. a quart of oil in less than a 100 miles. It has occasionally smoked but for a very limited time. Exhaust tip right side is wet. (looking from front of vehicle). I'm asking the "MOPAR" experts as to what I need to do.
Some info I've learned about the engine. That I've located from his Duster file.
- Orginal Motor- numbers match (balanced)
- X. Heads , angle valve job, Ported, combustion chambers polished- (something TRW valve springs -single w/ damper) same as stock
-Pistons - TRWL2316 F - .060+ - Stock rods full floating pistons.
-Crank- foraged steel standard mains + rods (improved wedage tray something)
- Double roller timing chain
-Cam- P.3690213 284-284-60degree- .471in 474 ex (street hemi grin purple shaft)
- Oil pump - high volume (25% increase)
-Headers- Black Jack
- Clutch Stock H.D. 11" for 400 CU IN motor
-Fuel pump - Carter high volume
-Perfomer Intake w/ 67 400 CU In manual transmission carb.

Guys I'm total lost in this don't know where or what to do on oil consumption as not leaking, no stains on carboard under car. Only thing seems to be greater in hot weather. Currently have just over 1000K on last oil change using "Citgo 10 W 30". Should I be using straight oil? Heaver Grade?
I wish i could ask him.
So any help directions; NO I'M not going to sell it. I've given it away to his best friend but he doesn't know it yet. Some day he'll be driving it, but for now i'm enjoying something that i never had when i was younger.
Also can some one inlighten me on horse power if possible with the info i've been told about this engine..
Car has 4 speed A-833 / bench seats/ sure grip 8 3/4 3.23 :1
Thanks ever so much.
"Frustrated" and Sad.. But got an angel that is always with me..

Well I am no expert but I am going to throw so ideas out there for you. You say its not leaking but is it burning it up? Does the exhaust smoke? I had a 360 once that would lose oil and the bottom of the car was plastered in oil from the leak but it never dropped hardly anything on the ground. I don't remember if we ever figured out the leak on the motor or not but I do remember at higher rpms while driving oil would leak out some how and get on the headers and smoke like crazy.

1. Start with the PVC valve. 2. Since the engine sat for so long, it could be the rings are stuck to the piston lands. Run a good crankcase flush through it a couple of times. 3. The valve stem seals could be part of the problem.
I have the same issue with my 67 273 stocker and I just changed the valve stem seals. My next move will be a cylinder treatment with help from one of the experts on this site. Sounds like a great car/engine combo. You will have a lot of fun with it until you pass it to your son's friend.
Best of luck with it, Rat

Thanks, changed the PCV valve, to no avail. I'll do some look'n 2 C if I have bunch of oil on engine. -- NOPE ! Now 4 a good crank case flush? Any one better than the next? Drove it 30 miles to show last week end and took 3/4 quart of oil at this rate I won't have to change the oil for years.
I really appreciate your help. Just wish my angel would be a bit more forcoming with the solutions. But then nothing is easy. .. dw

You might take a look at the inlet gaskets, I've had small block Mopars suck the inlet gasket into the bottom of the port. It doesn't seem to be enough to create a noticable vacuam leak but it is certainly enough to suck a heap of oil out of the valley. Good luck

I would pull the spark plugs on the same side as the wet exh pipe. Then pull the others, and see what they look like. If any are wet with oil, or black and gummed up, thne you have an engine problem. While they are out, pick up a compression gage, and check each cylinder one at a time. Turn it over a couple of times per cylinder, and keep the throttle propped wide open. (no plugs, so dont be afraid of it firing). Write each cylinder's reading down, and post the results, along with any plugs that were bad, by cylinder number. If it bent pushrods, you need to know why. You may have a damaged guide from the pushrod thing, or a leaking intake gasket, or bad rings, or ,or, or....But really, you need to narrrow it down.

After sitting 4.5 years you might have broken a ring or two starting it up.

Thanks for the insight. Will proceed. One ??- with all that oil consumption would it look like a bug defogger going down the road.. I don't see that tale of "blue". Oh well another learning lesson coming up.. Again you guys "R" the greatest, sure am lucky i met dude @ midwest mopar meet in MPLS this summer and he told me about this..

Got it done. Rebuilt the engine, had to sleve it. Brought it back to orginal and runs fine. # 5 hole was pitted bad and rather than risk having to tear it down again rebuilt it. Found 1.5" crack on crank and put in new one of them as well. Appreciated your help.

Nice you got it fixed...Sorry for your loss. Try to enjoy the car before it goes to the new home. It's the closest you can get to a gear head after they've moved on. Kind of like a mechanic's tools...

-
Back