340 exhaust help

-

wheelman21

Mopar noob
Reaction score
I know this has probably been gone over a million times, and I must have read 100 different threads but I haven't quite gotten a direct answer.

I have just bought my first real muscle V8. It's a 340. Right at the moment it has turndowns coming off the headers with no baffling, and it's just too dang loud for the street. Being my first high strung V8, and I'm a young gun (22), I want a real ground pounder. I want to set off car alarms and shake windows. I live out in the country so neighbors aren't a big problem. However, I don't want to be deaf by 30, or drive around with ear muffs on. I really love that drag car sound, and I don't want to sound exactly like every other mustang and V8 on the preverbial block. I was thinking of going with a glasspack of some sort, like a set of purple hornies turn towns, but also know these are vey loud. I have to recarpet the car anyway, so if I go nuts with dynomat and sound deadener, can I seal the cab well enough that is isn't a giant reverberation chamber and bareable?

The car isn't a DD, it's a weekend and friday night toy. The occasional trip to work, but mostly just a toy.

2.5" all the way out the back with Dynomax UltraFlow mufflers. That's what I have and that's what I would go with if I had to buy exhaust again.

With that said….. Sound is very subjective and only you will know what sound is right for you.

if it is a nice stout 340, any/all mufflers/exaust will sound great when you stomp it.lol
i have an original set of dual exaust off of a 71 340 4 speed, right down to the hangers, and it sounds just bad azz with the original stock exaust

I'm trying to build the car on as tight a budget as possible. I'm a decent fabricator, what about summit glasspacks, 3in 3out, dumping out the side in front of the rear tires. Nothing special at all, and real cheap. What do you think?

.........Go 2.5 in.............3 is to big..............kim...........

what makes it to big,and why do you figure its to big?

please no answers containing any combination of words that has anyting to do with the old myth about 4strokes needing backpresure

I know this has probably been gone over a million times, and I must have read 100 different threads but I haven't quite gotten a direct answer.

I have just bought my first real muscle V8. It's a 340. Right at the moment it has turndowns coming off the headers with no baffling, and it's just too dang loud for the street. Being my first high strung V8, and I'm a young gun (22), I want a real ground pounder. I want to set off car alarms and shake windows. I live out in the country so neighbors aren't a big problem. However, I don't want to be deaf by 30, or drive around with ear muffs on. I really love that drag car sound, and I don't want to sound exactly like every other mustang and V8 on the preverbial block. I was thinking of going with a glasspack of some sort, like a set of purple hornies turn towns, but also know these are vey loud. I have to recarpet the car anyway, so if I go nuts with dynomat and sound deadener, can I seal the cab well enough that is isn't a giant reverberation chamber and bareable?

The car isn't a DD, it's a weekend and friday night toy. The occasional trip to work, but mostly just a toy.

ive got a 67 coronet with a healthy 68 340 and went cheap with exhaust...75 fury muflers and 2.5 pipe from the headers,turndowns at the rear...sounds great,i get complements ery i drive it and thats often.

-
Back