340 fan clutch question

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I`m trying to find out if anybody has a 68-71 340 (without air conditioning) that came with a fan clutch. I`d like to add one to my (non A/C) `68, 340 but if it`s not correct then I won`t.

I believe clutch fans for standard on all 340s. They used the same fans as Hemi's $$$$

I believe clutch fans for standard on all 340s. They used the same fans as Hemi's $$$$

I thought that too at first Adam but my `68 has a standard fan. Then I found references to a standard fan and a clutch fan. From what I can find it looks like the fan clutch was found only on A/C equipped cars but I`m not sure. I have an early 68 340 that has just the standard fan and I`d like the benefit of the fan clutch but only if it was correct for the application and year..

I have a new clutch fan that comes with the mopar peeformance kit if your interested.

faucet pics 735.jpg

faucet pics 736.jpg

Thanks guys, now we`re getting somewhere. Does anybody know if the fan clutch was offered on the `68 340`s without air?

I believe the early 340s had the fan clutch even if they didn't have AC. I run the Mopar Performance fan clutch on my engine. Fits great and to the average guy looks stock.

I believe the early 340s had the fan clutch even if they didn't have AC. I run the Mopar Performance fan clutch on my engine. Fits great and to the average guy looks stock.

I thought so too but in the 68 parts manual I`ve found part# 2863213, a 7 blade, 1.50" pitch, fan blade for 340/383 without air. It`s the same number fan I`ve got on my car now.

This is an original 69 340 fan/clutch from a non-AC Barracuda that I used to own.

Do you still have the fan or is that an old picture? The fan blade is correct for a 68. I`ve found another number for cars made after March 68 but the last digits on the clutch are 237. I`ve also found two different styles of clutch as well, one is the thermal clutch which is identified with a coil spring on the front (I think this is the one associated with A/C) and the torque style (associated with high performance) identified with a smooth front as yours is. I may be interested in your fan if it is still around and available.

Sorry, don't want to sell it. It's the one I run on my car...and as you've found, where would I find another?

hey longgone from what i can see the fan and thermal clutch drive pictured is almost correct for 68. the fan is correct for 68, but the clutch needs to be #2863231. that would be for a 68 340 with ac. i do not see a listing for the 68 340 non ac anywhere...that being said it looks like in 68 the 340's without ac didn't get a clutch fan. personally i would go with the clutch as unless you are going 100% concourse no one would fault you on it for haveing it. i guess that is why they went to the clutch setup in 69 as ma mopar felt it was needed. just my 2 cents

Sorry, don't want to sell it. It's the one I run on my car...and as you've found, where would I find another?

I understand, I`ve actually found one that`s affordable but I`m still questioning whether I should go with it or not. Thanks for the input!

My 69 340 Swinger Non A/C car came with a fan clutch

How much clearance is there between the fan and radiator? I could not get my fan clutched fan to fit on my 360 conversion so I am running a fixed steel slant six fan.

hey longgone from what i can see the fan and thermal clutch drive pictured is almost correct for 68. the fan is correct for 68, but the clutch needs to be #2863231. that would be for a 68 340 with ac. i do not see a listing for the 68 340 non ac anywhere...that being said it looks like in 68 the 340's without ac didn't get a clutch fan. personally i would go with the clutch as unless you are going 100% concourse no one would fault you on it for haveing it. i guess that is why they went to the clutch setup in 69 as ma mopar felt it was needed. just my 2 cents

I`ve researched the part numbers too and have come up with the same numbers that you have. I think I might go for it and (unless I show the car at some major event) it should go over without much ado.

I`ve researched the part numbers too and have come up with the same numbers that you have. I think I might go for it and (unless I show the car at some major event) it should go over without much ado.

honestly i don't think anybody would even look at it a second time. i know i wouldn't. i myself would only notice if it was a flex fan or electric stuffed in there. my wifes 318 dart never came with one, and i added it to hers with no regreats.

How much clearance is there between the fan and radiator? I could not get my fan clutched fan to fit on my 360 conversion so I am running a fixed steel slant six fan.

i had no space issues on my wifes dart. it is a 318 and had a 5? blade fan without the clutch. i switched it to a 7 blade fan w/clutch. i think all i did was remove the larger spacer from the fan itself. i still have about 1 inch clearance from the radiator and the fan...

I was certain that all the '68 to '72 performance engines came equipped with a clutch fan ( 383, 440...), but I never researched it. I keep learning everyday, if only I could remember it...

If anybody out there has a `68 340 fan clutch, part no. 2863231, could you please post a picture of it and a diameter measurement? I`ve found what I believe is the correct fan clutch but the numbers are no longer legible. Thanks

-
Back