340 Full throttle hesitation

-
No timing light yet. Im going to be doing it this weekend. Im busy until then. I had the brake booster put on. I like it a lot better. Ive also done the whole suspension, everything under the car is new. Its all new stock except bushings, sway bars and rear leafs that have the 1 inch drop. Also went to the bigger upper A arms with bigger ball joints. E body size I believe.

No timing light yet. Im going to be doing it this weekend. Im busy until then. I had the brake booster put on. I like it a lot better. Ive also done the whole suspension, everything under the car is new. Its all new stock except bushings, sway bars and rear leafs that have the 1 inch drop. Also went to the bigger upper A arms with bigger ball joints. E body size I believe.

Nice. :cheers:

Thanks kuda! Im loving this car. It runs good as far as I can tell except for the hesitation.

So what about the gas? Can I run a 107 mix?

it wouldn't hurt.

My engines teacher told us that you should only run enough octane to keep it from spark knock... any more and you are just spending more money than you need to...

If it runs better on it, and you don't mind paying for it, then go ahead.

But you should tune it for the gas that you plan to run all the time. If you tune it for the good stuff and then put the cheap stuff in there, you may get some spark knock...

Than you would have to back off the timing a bit and then readjust the carb... Basically re-tuning it all over again...

Ok great. What mpg should I be getting? Im not worried about it but I drove about 40 miles and used 8.75 gallons....about 4.5mpg.

Thats what I figured. I can smell gas a little when I drive.

Kuda is there a different name for this "engine analyzer with a tachometer". Im looking at pep boys and cant find one. I see timing lights and compresion testers but not an analyzer.

Kuda is there a different name for this "engine analyzer with a tachometer". Im looking at pep boys and cant find one. I see timing lights and compresion testers but not an analyzer.

I like the analog ones with a gauge. The digital ones don't give you as much visual as the old style gauges.

I found my old ones at Sears. I've also seen some in the Actron brand. Also I have seen some of them near the tune up equipment at my local NAPA.

Here's some pictures of some old ones:

View attachment analyzer A01.jpg

View attachment analyzer A03.jpg

View attachment analyzer A02.jpg

I just bought one just like that at a yard sale last summer.

attachment.php

2 bucks, and it still had the booklet with it. :D

if you smell fuel, then there is most likely a leak somewhere. Do you park it inside our outside. Parking on concrete is usually a good way to easily see if its dripping somewhere.

all the stuff you are checking is good to check but your hesitation is a lean bog, that's why it doesn't do it when you roll into the throttle slowly, tune your carb, or throw that junk edelbrock away, and I would just run 92 octane, no need for race gas at 10-1

all the stuff you are checking is good to check but your hesitation is a lean bog, that's why it doesn't do it when you roll into the throttle slowly, tune your carb,

...which is why I suggested checking for accel pump shot first....these symptoms are classic "lack of pump shot".

For your app. & that price range a 750 edelbrock AVS style carb. You have the AFB style carter on there now don't know what cfm it is though. The 750 will give most over all power but a 600-650 will have the best throttle response. I had a speed demon 750 on my old 340 & it worked great! But I also had 4:10's & 3800 stall converter,so it was matched well. Make sure it the AVS style (has adjustable secondary air valve) carb whole lot easyer tuning out the secondary bog then an AFB style.

to get rid of your bog, move the accelerator pump rod to the hole of the pump lever that is the closest to the inside of the carb ( innermost hole). that will give you more pump shot. judging from the pictures , your positioning is at the smallest setting. you will see that you have 3 holes to choose from. do this before you do anything else to the car! good luck.

-
Back