340 has no balls

-
Idle it and spray carb cleaner around the intake-if it gains rpm, that's a leak. But no small leak will make it a dog.
Check: initial advance, total advance
Secondaries opening? can you feel them open/ if so, rebuild carb.
ports aren't mis-matched enough to dog.
fuel pressure at about 6?
no leaks in old lines? (pump would rather pull air, than gas; all the way to the tank.
what dist? 8 to 10 volts at run?
plug wires- run it at night and watch, or ohm them.
compression is?
kickdown correct?

I used to run them new, and still have 2; they don't dog, unless there is a simple problem.

A stock 340 should have plenty of power!My 1970 Duster 340 when I bought had been neglected for over a year by the previous owner.I wanted to see how bad of shape the motor was in.So all I did was was put a battery in it,a set of points.Adjusted the dwell and timing.Made sure the firing order was correct. I could nail the throttle and it would have no problem smokin the tires.The car had around 100,00 miles on it,the engine was worn,tranny slipped and the carb was worn as well. So a good-running 340 should have more than enough power.

Please realize.... A new engine will not solve your problems.

If your long block is in good shape and you switch it out with another one, you will still have the same tuning issues.

A new engine does not fix your timing, auto trans kick down or out of tune carb.

Hell... How old is your fuel filter? If you replace it don't go with one of those shitty chrome and glass ones.

I have some good news to report here. Ive been running the car and added some octane booster for now until I can get some race gas. The car is starting wake up and I can see that with better gas and a timing adjustment ,the car will be fantastic .Its a load off my mind to see the performace improve . Tomorrow ,Ill check the timing and report back with where iit is set. Thanks for the help gang. This place rocks .....

I have some good news to report here. Ive been running the car and added some octane booster for now until I can get some race gas. The car is starting wake up and I can see that with better gas and a timing adjustment ,the car will be fantastic .Its a load off my mind to see the performace improve . Tomorrow ,Ill check the timing and report back with where iit is set. Thanks for the help gang. This place rocks .....
You need race gas to drive your 340 dart around?
I quit!

I can see the gas being part of the problem... I know when I had my 66 Chevelle SS 396/325hp it would run like total crap with the winter blend gas. That was with the stock 10 1/4 to 1 compression. I went to a full MSD ignition and it cleaned it up for the most part.

Don't we have a member close to him that could go over and stick a timing light on that car. lol

I doubt that 340 is at the factory-rated 10.5:1 compression; it's probably 10:1 at most. Take out a little bit of ignition advance and you should be able to run 93 octane. GET YOUR IGNITION TIMING SET UP RIGHT! Honestly, try to drive it the LEAST you can until you get everything tuned right because your engine (and transmission) will wear much faster, especially if everything is outta whack and not just one system.

EDIT: If you don't have a timing light, BUY ONE from a local auto parts store, preferably with the adjusting dial. They're not expensive and with a car like yours (numbers-matching 340) it would be a very wise investment.

Your car is a nice example of one that hasn`t been altered a lot. One way you could go is to try to find a stock intake with a Carter AVS. I`d imagine your car should boil the tires without a problem once you get it tuned correctly. I`m running 93 octane gasoline and right about 34* total timing with my entirely stock 68 340. I am using an electronic ignition instead of the dual point.

Your car is a nice example of one that hasn`t been altered a lot. One way you could go is to try to find a stock intake with a Carter AVS. I`d imagine your car should boil the tires without a problem once you get it tuned correctly. I`m running 93 octane gasoline and right about 34* total timing with my entirely stock 68 340. I am using an electronic ignition instead of the dual point.

A stock intake for it is on ebay now... And I think it would be a Carter AVS #4612 for a 69 Dart, 340, auto, non-AC

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...rms=72:1205|65:12|39:1|240:1318#ht_732wt_1075

Still sounds like you need to bump your timing down to me.

ill check it later today and hopefully put an end to this saga lol.

How do I always miss the good threads?

Anyways good info .... can't add much to it... you'll get her running good.

You DON'T need race gas to make a stock 340 perform..my 416 stroker with 11 to 1 compression runs fine on 93 octane,so does the 366 thats in the car now..I think the rpm performer would be a great upgrade,and a holley 650 tuned properly will do wonders for you also(not a fan of any carter/edelbrock carbs)..are you still running a points ignition if so upgrading to an electronic is a must also...

True about the gas. I use 93 octane in mine and it runs fine, no knocks or pings at 10btdc initial timing.

well sir iv read almost all of your prob.. and salutions and i haven read any one tell you the real prob.first get a stock dist.take it to someone that knows how to set it up or swich to electronic thats#1then look at your muflers arethy org.stock.then that carb thy make good wheel chucks.get a780holley vac.secndrys with a lite spring in rear start with 72 jets and go from there the intake is good to 6000 if you have stock air cleaner turn lid upside down.more air ..i had same car with headers thru hemi muflers with 2.5 pipes run 12.20s and back then drove it every day..and on the street it would boil the tires threw first and sec, do all of that then your next post will be how to hook it up..dont give up it should run good. p.s.check around your area for an old super stock racer to help you.MOPAR to ya!!!

That is not true. I did it with my Gran Safari wagon in high school. It does sound cool.

I know.. I did it on an old chevy truck I had.

The little joke is that it would look silly if you did it with a stock 69, 340 un-silenced air cleaner. I don't think you could even close the hood.

The unsilenced air cleaner already has the effect of an upside down lid on a standard small single snorkel air cleaner. The base is smaller than the top.

well sir iv read almost all of your prob.. and salutions and i haven read any one tell you the real prob.first get a stock dist.take it to someone that knows how to set it up or swich to electronic thats#1then look at your muflers arethy org.stock.then that carb thy make good wheel chucks.get a780holley vac.secndrys with a lite spring in rear start with 72 jets and go from there the intake is good to 6000 if you have stock air cleaner turn lid upside down.more air ..i had same car with headers thru hemi muflers with 2.5 pipes run 12.20s and back then drove it every day..and on the street it would boil the tires threw first and sec, do all of that then your next post will be how to hook it up..dont give up it should run good. p.s.check around your area for an old super stock racer to help you.MOPAR to ya!!!

So you suggest different distributor, different carb, and flip the air cleaner top?

You're right, no one yet has suggested flipping the air cleaner top.

OK guys more infor here. Im just in from the garage and trying to TIME the car. Warm the engine , plug the dist vac line . Hook the timing light to driver side most forward plug .Number 1 right ??? shoot the light and the timing mark comes up off the chart about 1 inch past the 10deg BTDC mark. tried to retard the timing but nearly stalls in that direction . ok whats wrong now thanks .

OK guys more infor here. Im just in from the garage and trying to TIME the car. Warm the engine , plug the dist vac line . Hook the timing light to driver side most forward plug .Number 1 right ??? shoot the light and the timing mark comes up off the chart about 1 inch past the 10deg BTDC mark. tried to retard the timing but nearly stalls in that direction . ok whats wrong now thanks .

Try uping the idle.

-
Back