340 has no timing tab...

-
What year?

May not be the stock timing cover.

After more investigating, I found that there is a timing.Tab made into the timing cover on the passenger side.But it is covered up by the water pump hose

After more investigating, I found that there is a timing.Tab made into the timing cover on the passenger side.But it is covered up by the water pump hose
Might be the wrong water pump or cover. You should always verify timing marks on an engine. Different dampers for different years too. Been there done that.

It has the water pump lower hose coming out of the passenger side.I believe it should come out the drivers, but I'm not sure for a 70 thrperiod.Not sure if I need to change the pump or the timing cover or which is more cost effective

It has the water pump lower hose coming out of the passenger side.I believe it should come out the drivers, but I'm not sure for a 70 thrperiod.Not sure if I need to change the pump or the timing cover or which is more cost effective
If you can get a light on it, who cares? Make sure it corresponds to TDC.

69 and down is driver's side exit pump and timing tab on the pass side.
70+ is timing on the driver's side and outlet on the pass side

this coincides with the location of the stock radiator outlet.

so, if you change any one thing, all of it doesn't work well together.

cost wise, the 70+ stuff is more widely available and tends to not command the "premium" of the 67~69 junk (notably power steering, crank and AC pulleys).

69 and down is driver's side exit pump and timing tab on the pass side.
70+ is timing on the driver's side and outlet on the pass side

this coincides with the location of the stock radiator outlet.

so, if you change any one thing, all of it doesn't work well together.

cost wise, the 70+ stuff is more widely available and tends to not command the "premium" of the 67~69 junk (notably power steering, crank and AC pulleys).
Could I just change the timing cover to a 70 and later? And use the parks that I have

Could I just change the timing cover to a 70 and later? And use the parks that I have
yeah, it all interchanges. you'll need to remark your balancer for TDC. unless it already has one (some balancers do, or it could be an early or late one-- anything can change in 50 years).

remember though, the pulleys are specific to the early and late style, so you may have alignment issues if you have p/s or a/c but the alt. is usually pretty close and can be sorted with a little futzing about.

what side is the radiator outlet on? that may color your decision...

yeah, it all interchanges. you'll need to remark your balancer for TDC. unless it already has one (some balancers do, or it could be an early or late one-- anything can change in 50 years).

remember though, the pulleys are specific to the early and late style, so you may have alignment issues if you have p/s or a/c but the alt. is usually pretty close and can be sorted with a little futzing about.

what side is the radiator outlet on? that may color your decision...
It's a different radiator than stock but it's on the passenger side period

You could make a timing tab for the drivers side and add timing tape to mark the balancer with a new tdc. This will allow you to set timing without the hose in the way. I have used a large nail that bent around one of the bolts that hold the timing cover in place. Paint it to match cover with white tip.

It's a different radiator than stock but it's on the passenger side period
sounds like you're in like flynn.

just be mindful of the accessories lining up.

also, if you want to change out the pulleys for say and aftermarket set up or whatever, 100% check your balancer bolt pattern before ordering. after the whole thing with your rear brakes, who knows what you might have cooking there.

This all makes sense...

73 car would have AL water pump, the inlet on pass side and timing mark on driver's side. Radiator would match

67 and 68 have bolt on timing marks on pass side, cast iron water pump, and the inlet would be on the driver's side. The radiator would match.

69 was a unique year. The timing marks were cast into the cover on the pass side, cast iron water pump, and the inlet would be on the driver's side. The radiator would match.

Your 73 car has a 69 engine in it.

You few choices.

1. Live with it
  2. Change the front cover to a 70 and up cover. Find true TDC And make a new mark on the damper. Or buy a new damper for 70 up with the correct marks in the correct place. Some of the front accessory brackets might need to be changed.
  3. switch to a cast iron 69 and older water pump and replace your radiator outlet to the drivers side

You don't have to change anything. Here's all you "need" to do. Find TDC with a piston stop. Choose "where" you want your timing tab. Obviously, a place where you can SEE IT. Now make your new marker out in the open in a place where you can see it and get a light on it. Then put a new mark on the balancer right where your new timing tab is. That's your new zero mark. You can then mark degree marks as needed.

Last edited:
Get underneath look at the markings on the sides of the block and the serial number and figure out what engine you have

Whoever had it before me had it retarded a little too much so I timed it by ear for now. I will probably find top dead center in market and use a pointer on the driver's side.And either use timing tape or make marks or use a dial back

You my be able to do it with pulling a valve cover and putting the dial indicator on the #1 intake rocker find TDC that way or the best way is finding tdc with a piston stop and degree w heel IMO.

-
Back