340 head bolt question...

-

konrad

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm an idiot. I pulled the heads off my 340 motor last summer to have hardened valve seats put in, after getting the estimate I decided not to and just put them back on. My problem is I didn't label any bolts for puting them back on. I noticed that the new head bolt kits have different lengths and I can't find any information/diagrams showing where they go. Can anyone please help explain where they go? My bad....lesson learned

The longer ones go in the head position with the tallest boss. The rest go in the other spots under the valve cover. The shortest ones go on the outside bottom of the head.

And another question....for the exhaust bolts/studs, the studs go on the outside and bolts go in between them?

Yup. Head bolts are "obvious." There are "taller" bosses on the heads, you just quite simply cannot screw this up. Put all the short ones in first and when you run out of them, the only ones left are the long ones!!!

The exhaust studs are used because the outer holes go into the coolant jackets. If you use headers, normally you would use bolts with sealer, anyhow.

-
Back