340 heads on a 67 273

-
If they are 2.02's they won't work, if they are the 1.88 intake valve heads you'll have to check the bore to valve clearence.

2.02 will work, but you need to notch the tops of the cylinders, you get more flow, but there is valve shroding flow restrictions, still though huge diff over stock heads, but correct cam etc and gearing needs to be used in the build too.

There is an old Mopar performance book on this very build for a 11,12 & 13 sec 273 build with 340 heads.

I was trying to keep him from taking the engine back apart and having the block notched, for the larger valves. And if the block isn't notched they will hit so without the extra machining they won't work.

i put a set of j heads on my 273 with a old hemi grind cam and had no problem but my motor was the 10.75 dome motor the 275 hp it ran super

will this work and if so any compression gain?

I put 2.02/1.60 in a pair of 318heads from 72, with full flow intake and blow port on my 273, it was really interesting when I find out that the valves would hit the top of cylinders, So I just noched out a 1/4" on each side of the top of cylinder and hold my tumbs when I put the starter.
I runs like a wind.
I have the camshaft from a 340S and it works really good..:thumblef:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWHCS25axwk"]YouTube - Valiant 1962 V8 from Sweden.[/ame]

-
Back