340 Intake Recomendation

-

Mopower71

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Hey guys,
What do you think would be the best intake for this application.
I know one of the mags did a review on a bunch of the Big Block Intakes a few years back, did they ever have a small block intake shoot out?
Here's the specs.
340 + .030
13-1 comp
.528 MP solid cam.
X heads with larger valves.
4500 converter.
4.10 spool, 4.56, or 4.88 sure grips gear set to chose from.
750 or 850 DP Holley carb.
MSD 6AL
MP Tach drive distributor
Race only.

They did. IMO, since this is a race ride only, I think I'd go to the single plane M-1. (I'd also cam it up quite a bit.)
What would you like to know about the shoot out? I have it in front of me.
They didn't run a M-1. They had a Holley Strip Dom. I think the intake showed weak due to the combo. The Streip Dom is a serious intake that IMO, did not have the guts backing it up to show it off. (I could be wrong though.)
The article also had a TorkerII that was port matched. A run what you brung thing. It fared well. In the end, all lost to the RPM in the ave HP dept. Not the peak. But that was crazy close too.

I agree, more cam and a M1 or Victor. Stuff those 4.88s in it and give me the 456s or the other way around.

You NEED a Victor 340. And I have a brand new one that has never been installed on an engine that I could sell to you for $200 plus shipping.

Right now I have a Torker 2 that is in need of repair. It was gasket matched, but not matched to the head, so there is a large step as it goes into the head port. The intake runners would need to be epoxied in and then reworked to the head port.

As for a cam, What would you guys recommend?

I'm in the planning stage now. Getting the garage cleaned up, and planning the attack on the engine. Once I get enough room around the car, the engine and tranny are comming out, and I'll get going on the rebuild.

With a 4500 stall converter and a racing single plane and 4.56's or better...hummm, I think a base line cam in this range would be MoPars .590 lift cam. It has a tight centerline to blled off some off that sky high compresion ratio you have.
A roller would be sweet to.
Custom cam time IMO.

I'm thinking maybe something like the MP 557" with the 456s or the .590" with the 488s

rumblefish 360 you are right about the fact that the stripp dominator manifold needing a hot engine to back it up, actualy tested a performer rpm manifold yesterdey on my rollercammed 340 and it had more torque down low but it is nowhere close to the strip dominator when the engine is screaming from 5000rpm to 7500rpm, so i just put the strip dominator back on ;)
i have no dyno numbers to back this up its just what it felt like running on my litle test road i have nearby mu home....
and some of the diference could also be the fact that i never touched the carb when testing the performer rpm manifold just put it on and made some runs down my "testtrack" and went home feeling safe about that the strip dominator manifold will make a lot more power at high rpm...

duster340;
I think the RPM is a fine intake, just not capleable of those HI rpm power levels when you get serious with a big cam and such.
I've seen some preety fast cars with them. I just wonder on these cars if the single wouldn't do better.
LOL, home test track. Man, I miss mine. Gotta find a new one around my new house one of these days.

rumblefish360 said:
duster340;
I think the RPM is a fine intake, just not capleable of those HI rpm power levels when you get serious with a big cam and such.
I've seen some preety fast cars with them. I just wonder on these cars if the single wouldn't do better.
LOL, home test track. Man, I miss mine. Gotta find a new one around my new house one of these days.

yea for sure the rpm is a very good intake, and i have also been thinking some about how much a single plane intake would improve some of those fast cars ;)

yeah my "test track" is perfect its close enough for mee to almost bee able to push my car home if anything realy bad happens to the car and its behind some industrial buildings that blocks most of the V8 roar soo it wont distrub my neighbours and its also located so i can clearly see if anyone is anywhere nere the test track , like mentioned earlier i dont want to disturb anyone and i wont take the risk to hurt someone its just perfect except its not long enough to make a 1/4 mile run on it without ditrubing anyone or make anyone unsafe ;)

Sounds like a nice industrial park. A place where theres not much of anything going on at night. A perfect place to run hard for a short sprint.
We used to race along various parks like that and grave yards.

The race track is the only place to see if mods make a real improvement. Pure seat of the pants feel is not a good determination if something works better or not. When I circle track raced there were more times than not that when the car felt the best around the track it had slower lap times than the times it felt like it was a pig around the track. Same for my drag racing, when I change something on the car that feels like a good run it has actually slowed some. Just something to consider.

Rumblefish, you think that 590 cam will fit without head mods?
I saw your othe Lift limit post.
I'm pretty sure the pistons will handle it.

-
Back