340 is gutted

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Wow nothing much looks salvageable for as good as it seemed to run. It had a fair amount of blow by. On what was supposed to be a recent rebuild.

All the ebarings are horribly scored the piston skirts are scored and scratched theres almost 0 cross hatch in the bores either. It's .030' over but theres n o real lip so maybe if I can get psiton s it might clean up at .035"

Crank will have to be cut its already .10 under. But scored. Someone tried rebalanceing the crank.... they used a mig to put some bird sh*t weld into the hole drilled in the rear throw of the crank by the factory. Engine saw a lot of dirt from a poor rebuild

All thats good is the cam. Which I dont need. Its a mopar 284-484 that if someone wants they can have for a trade on maybe a flywheel? Mine has been welded also.... sad I know.

Time to warm up the visa!

well, if there is no hone marks, and it's .030, it may have been an average rebuild. Poor maintenance is damaging no matter a factory or rebuilt. Dont bother with .035..Go to .040 over. there is no problem with that, even with a longer stroke crank. The weld you see, is most likely a balance job where they welded in the Mallory metal. Press fit isnt enough on a striong engine. Teh cranks move around too much. So you tack the plugs in..

that sucks! hope you will have a strong runing engine when you are done with the rebuild!

Well the weld they put into the crank looks like my dog was holding the mig. Just very very poor not even a bead.

The engine was supposed to be a year old when I bought it makeing it not even 3 years old. My maintenence was there I know that.

I might go .035" I am working with Don at FBO and he might be able to score some oddball sized pistons that got ordered from Diamond but never picked up so I can save some coin... -I hope-

It'll be my first time doing an engine aside from at school so I am just getting ready to watch the cash flow outta my wallet.

Anyone have a flywheel?

Things aren't looking so good for you engine wise. Nothing money can't fix though.

Yikes!! It's a good thing you have all winter to get it straightened out. Sorry to hear about anyone getting suprises like that when they open up a motor. First indication of a bad engine is usually a sharp pain in the area of the right hip pocket - yep, time to warm up the VISA. Good luck.

Yup basic estimate from the machine shop is a rough 2 grand. Plus my cost on pistons and the heads etc... But it will be done right and if anything else overbuilt for a long life. But on a plus side for me I get to remove all the box liner type stuff they put on my car. They did the undersid eof the trunk lid, door jambs and front of the rad support and a few spots under the hood. Why I dont know its a ***** to get off.

I did the trunk lid already but for the rad support comes the sand blaster.

If that's the standard rock guard type coating, the sandblaster may not touch it since it's a rubberized type of material. A small air grinder with a grinding disk, or an electric sander with a coarse disk, will usually get most of it off, then you can DA the rest off with a 24 grit disk. Been there, done that, and I don't envy you at all. Good luck.

-
Back