340 Lifter Clacking.... Reasonable Price?

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Hey guys....... I have a 340 with one of the hydraulic lifters clacking.....have no idea why.........engine is clean.....just one lifter, and it drives you crazy..........

For anyone out there with the general knowledge, what would you consider a fair price to have the intake lifted, and a new set of lifters installed?

Secondly, if there seems to be a further problem with scoring, how much should I expect for them to remove the front end and change the cam while they're at it?

I am TIRED of getting ripped........I've had my share of mechanics taking advantage and overcharging.............. I know a new cam and lifter set is only about $159. or so.............and there used to be such a thing as "flat rate manual" that most mechanics went by (back in the day, I suppose).

What kind of labor charge do you suppose would be fair? (I KNOW there are a few variables here, BUT how about a ball park figure from someone with experience...........??)

Thanks....... Doc

Flat rate manuals are where the rip-offs started. I was a mechanic at an auto dealer at one time and thought the whole flat rate thing was crooked. For example I used to change out a clutch complete from start to finsh in about 45 minutes, the flat rate manual said 4 hrs so that is what we charged the customer. So we charged somebody for time that was not even being spent on the car. Also there are two flat rate manuals, one for charging customers and one for warranty work. I bet you can guess which allowed less time to do a repair.

Finding a good mechanic is no different than finding a good contractor, landscaper etc. it is a crap shoot, you never know what you will get until it is to late. Good service & quality standards died along time ago in this country I am sorry to say.

Did it start clacking after you took your car to the tranny shop? or has it done it for awhile.

Well, if it's just "dropping one lifter in" then from me it would be about 2hrs work plus the price of gaskets for the intake and valve cover and one lifter. At a shop here (CT), that's about $200 after tax.$75/hr labor is average. Some places less, some places more..I've heard Firestone charges like $95/hr. That's frightening after seeing what they can do for damage in an hour.

I'm serious, I will bet the trans shop took your car for a " very good test drive" Seen it happen before.

I can take out and replace all my lifters through the valve covers with a telescoping magnet on my 273. I wouldnt think a 340 would be that much different. Bob

I've never heard of the magnet method...... Anyone else tried this? Seems like it would have to be a pretty hefty magnet, unlike the WalMart brands....

AND, the tranny shop DID indeed take it out, for the "test-drives", BUT the lifter was clacking when I took it in.............I also limited my throttle before I took it to the shop so they couldn't hammer it.

Do it yourself, at least you will know it was done correctly. Nobody touches any of my cars but me. I have had to repair the damage that flat rate makes mechanics do to make a living. "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of hurry up is forgotten".

Well said Dartman........Well said.

I guess I'll break out a bottle of Ibuprofen and have at it......Can't STAND that noise anymore...... I'll gladly trade it for a backache.

I'd still like to know if anyone else has tried to take out a lifter with a good telescoping magnet................

My probl;em was always finding the single bad one...I pull the intake and look..You'll see the collapsed one easy. Plus, that way you can make sure they're all in good shape, along with the cam.

The magnet thing will work good as long as yu dont have a "lip" on the lifter.. And if you do just keep working it.. Ive done it one mopars and even 2.8 and 3.1 gm's they said it could be done..If clacking that bad it may ahave come apparrt..Did you try changing the rocker? pushrod bend? roll it in a flat surface and see..

There are lifter removal tools that you can buy cheap to do it without taking off the manifold.They go down through the head and you either slide one part of the tool and some have a knob that turns.On the other end are a set of claws that spread and grab the lifter to pull it out.

-
Back