340 Main bearing caps.

-

sireland67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was given a 340 by a friend of mine, but it is missing the main bearing caps.
Can I take the main bearing caps off a 318, line bore the engine and be ok?

I just don't want it to end up more of an issue than its worth, since I already have an extra 340 that is complete, and this block has rust in the bores.
Also I could use the bolts and windage tray if anybody has an extra one laying around.

It CAN work, but 340 caps are actually a little taller, I suppose for strength reasons...but I have used 318 caps before

I thought they might work, but did not know that they are taller, might be for the windage tray?

The trick is finding a set that match up as close as possible to make line bore easier

I have a couple sets, still may just throw this engine in the corner of my out building and forget about it, just checking out my options.

It took 3 rear main caps to find one that was right for a line hone one my 340 block.

Yep, the number 5 cap is the toughest to get correct. You can fudge a bit on the thrust main but the rear cap better be dang close or you will have a nightmare.

and i think the old 318 poly will work too.i think they are a bit bigger than an LA 318 and a bit smaller than the 340.

-
Back