340 Main Caps Help!!??

-

scastillo

Reaction score
Hi,
A friend is selling to me 1969 340 Block for $ 300.00 and is very nice but the main caps are missing. I have a set of 340 main caps in my garage from a 1970 Block that is crack. My question is.... can I use the main caps from another 340 block? or I have to do something with the machine shop to fit them?

you'll have to have the mains align honed.

I got a block way back when and it was missing one cap, I tried to run another 340 cap on it, and it wore the bearing quick!

nope, if they know what they are doing.

I would suggest getting main studs at the same time, maybe even a girdle.

nope, if they know what they are doing.

I would suggest getting main studs at the same time, maybe even a girdle.

Thanks for the info!!, did you think that $300 for this block is right without the mains caps, I dont have a idea how much the machine shop will be ask for this job

Align honing the mains will move the crank and camshaft centerlines closer together and put a little more slack in the timing chain. The best thing MaMopar ever did for the LA engines was the timing chain tensioner that replaces the cam thrust plate. I put one in every LA I get my hands on.

Little high for no main caps price wise.. But if you're happy with it it's all that matters.

As far as the value of the block is it standard bore or has it been bored? If it is standard bore and the bores are in good shape that is one thing. If it has been bored .040" over and needs to be bored again that is another.

As far as the value of the block is it standard bore or has it been bored? If it is standard bore and the bores are in good shape that is one thing. If it has been bored .040" over and needs to be bored again that is another.

The block have a fresh .040" over. Was in a storage to many years.The guy inclued also the forged crank that is .010". I am keep thinking. Here in Puerto Rico is hard to find a good 340 block, the people who had it dont want to sell, so I saw many in Ebay and in the Mopar Shows when I go to States,,but the shipping is to much.

I will apreciate your opinion!!

Thanks

Being .040" over and missing the main caps I would try and find a stock bore 360 block instead.

i would bring the crank ,caps ,block to the machine shop. have him put the crank in .he can plastigauge it , install the correct bearings,
and it will be done right.
sure you can put it together your self,but if it comes apart while driving ,your out a complete motor.

-
Back