340 marine engines.

-
Do NOT use a reverse rotation crank in a car application- it will run fine, but the "knurling" on the rear main seal journal is in the opposite direction. Intended to help move oil away from the seal and prevent leaks, a RR crank run in standard rotation will actually force oil OUT past the seal.
If I remember correctly, a reverse rotation engine will have "RR" stamped on the front of the block below the left cylinder head along with the rest of the engine info.

I think Direct drive prop boats use reverse rotation. I don't think IO's do. (inboard/outboard)
@71GSSDemon wil know I bet.
Inboards came both ways. I've forgotten the explanation. It may have been the preferred side of the boat the driver wanted to pilot from

It is easy to identify a reverse rotation Mopar engine IF it is together and "as original." They have a tall adapter that the distributor sits in, with a thrust bearing inside, because the thrust in reverse, tries to push up on the drive gear. ---To the left in the photo

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Read this thread on marine engines

It is easy to identify a reverse rotation Mopar engine IF it is together and "as original." They have a tall adapter that the distributor sits in, with a thrust bearing inside, because the thrust in reverse, tries to push up on the drive gear. ---To the left in the photo

View attachment 1716040407

View attachment 1716040409
And if I'm not mistaken (it's been a looong time), the adapter allows use of a 383 distributor (turns opposite of a small block) so the advance mechanism works...

-
Back