340 numbers match. For 10g ?

-

wreckbuilder

Reaction score
Hey people. New to the forum. I'm in the market for a project.I want a 340 Duster 70 to 72 number matching car. What can I expect to get for 10K? Thanks

Well, Your screen handle is Wreckbuilder ( I dig it) sounds like you have capacity to handle it. For 10g, your gonna have to use that talent, and more money, to get er sweet. If possible, I've seen killer examples of done rides, for under 20.. But, if you can find the right car...

or a fair amount of rust. is there a reason you want #'s matching?

and welcome
I guess the reason I specified # car was I think for all the work it takes might as well have the added value. And also I am looking at a car like such and trying to justify it LOL. Seems everything I find is scattered all over the shop.

Well, Your screen handle is Wreckbuilder ( I dig it) sounds like you have capacity to handle it. For 10g, your gonna have to use that talent, and more money, to get er sweet. If possible, I've seen killer examples of done rides, for under 20.. But, if you can find the right car...
Yeah it don't make sense if 20 will get me a done ride. But I'm kinda hard headed that way.

Hey people. New to the forum. I'm in the market for a project.I want a 340 Duster 70 to 72 number matching car. What can I expect to get for 10K? Thanks
First, welcome to the forum. This place will provide a wealth of information as you work on you car. I do have a few questions for you.
1. Are you sure you want a numbers matching car? I am NOT bad mouthing #s matching cars; I kind of wish mine was. You need to be sure of that decision. A numbers matching car will be way more expensive up front probably at least twice as expensive as a decent or fairly nice non matching #s car. There is a lot more to matching numbers than VIN, engine and transmission. You need to decide how far you want to go. For example, I believe that distributors, fuel pumps manifolds, alternators etc all have dates.
2. BIGGEST QUESTION: Can you do all (or at least most) of your own work? If you can't, that project car can get really expensive.
3. Now for the bad news. I seriously doubt you can find a matching number Duster at all for $10K.

Yeah it don't make sense if 20 will get me a done ride. But I'm kinda hard headed that way.
Dig that, AND factor in Rising Costs of Parts, Availability/ Unavailability of Factory parts, unavailable after market parts ( on many ends of the spectrum) outta- stock, lead time, ect. Hell, seat covers, are almost a year out. But ya pay up front! If you want a project, you could find something, but it would need a resto, most likely totally, for 10....

Oh Yeah, Welcome! There are a bunch of good people here that KNOW these cars, and many are trade specific Pros!

First, welcome to the forum. This place will provide a wealth of information as you work on you car. I do have a few questions for you.
1. Are you sure you want a numbers matching car? I am NOT bad mouthing #s matching cars; I kind of wish mine was. You need to be sure of that decision. A numbers matching car will be way more expensive up front probably at least twice as expensive as a decent or fairly nice non matching #s car. There is a lot more to matching numbers than VIN, engine and transmission. You need to decide how far you want to go. For example, I believe that distributors, fuel pumps manifolds, alternators etc all have dates.
2. BIGGEST QUESTION: Can you do all (or at least most) of your own work? If you can't, that project car can get really expensive.
3. Now for the bad news. I seriously doubt you can find a matching number Duster at all for $10K.
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. Yeah when I say numbers I guess I just would like the matching engine. It just seems to add value, how much I don't know. I'm looking to build a very nice driver.

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. Yeah when I say numbers I guess I just would like the matching engine. It just seems to add value, how much I don't know. I'm looking to build a very nice driver.
Oops I didn't answer the biggest question. Yes I really can do it all. Thanks again

Oops I didn't answer the biggest question. Yes I really can do it all. Thanks again
GREAT. A lot of us can do a lot, but few of us can do it all. I did my 69 Barracuda all by myself; body, paint, engine, interior, everything. Take and post LOTS of pictures. We love pictures.

You might find something non matching that's a decent start for 10K. Unfortunately, this ain't the 80s anymore. lol

I found, not advertised, just by driving by, a 69 Dart, 340 4 spd, purple, original # car in the mid 90s, mentioned it to a guy I know ( who is a cannibal) he rolled over there and got it for 400 bucks....

Welcome, 10k and hard headedness will rarely get you what you're looking for in a driver 340 matching #'s anything these days.

71 duster 340 my friend has his 71 340 duster for sale ,number matching car with extra 340 and tons of parts.

I would think, in terms of the "opposite" of a rust bucket, that you could find an incomplete started but not finished project, OR the car that has been in storage and the guy never got to it type of deal. My 70 Swinger isn't in paint, but I wouldn't take less than 10 K for it. I'd die first and let the wife sell it for peanuts, she'll need it and doesn't have the blood sweat and tears as well as $$$ in it. :)

I think the term can do it all and have done it all make it a little gray area...
I help people restore their cars for a living and there's very few who've done it all but many who think they can do it all because they watch the restoration programs on TV.. I can do that and I can do that but they have never done that.. they help the high school friend changing alternator or an intake manifold back in high school 30 40 years ago.. and now they want a hot rod...
That example of that number's matching duster for $9,000 was perfect. Now it only needs about 15 to $20,000 worth the money and about 400 to 700 hours of work...

71 duster 340 my friend has his 71 340 duster for sale ,number matching car with extra 340 and tons of parts.
my friends duster is well worth the time and money imo. this car does need trunk floor, quarter panel repairs but if i remember right the roof is all good, this car comes with a ton of used and new parts, like doors deck lid new interior extra 340 engine, so many parts. the new owner could sell the parts and get money back in his pocket.
this was a running car before he took it apart to restore it, then his wife got sick and he doesn't have time to finish the car, well worth the time to look at it. he talked to many people that were interested in the car, but he said no one ever came to look at it. just talked the talk.
if your interested pm me for his phone number. thanks

my friends duster is well worth the time and money imo. this car does need trunk floor, quarter panel repairs but if i remember right the roof is all good, this car comes with a ton of used and new parts, like doors deck lid new interior extra 340 engine, so many parts. the new owner could sell the parts and get money back in his pocket.
this was a running car before he took it apart to restore it, then his wife got sick and he doesn't have time to finish the car, well worth the time to look at it. he talked to many people that were interested in the car, but he said no one ever came to look at it. just talked the talk.
if your interested pm me for his phone number. thanks
20171111_115733.jpg

I've easily had my duster down that far or further and back together in just a couple few weeks but it takes quite a bit of motivation and knowledge...

Bring a trailer;
I got a 69 Barracuda FormulaS that I still have the original 340 block for.
The build sheet says it was a 727 car, but by the time I got it, in 1983, there was an A833 in it, and it had been sorta converted to "Cuda" status.
The car needs everything; quarters, rockers, driver's floor, hump repair, valences, tubs, and probably fenders by now. I haven't been up close to it in several years.
I pulled the interior out for a different project and wore it out; well except for the rear seat. I think I could find all the missing pieces, except for a 727, but I can provide a nice used 904.
Make my day!
I'm 68 years old and looking to retire. Bring an enclosed trailer, and I'll make sure you get your money's worth.
Hurry, this offer ends in 5,4,3.....

-
Back