340 oil pan gasket question

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
Rebuild gasket kit cam with oil pan gaskets (rubber ends) that do not have the 6 little "nibs" that go through the holes in the oil pan ends. Can I use the smooth type with silicone or do I need to order one with the nibs ? Last kit I bought had both styles. Also - any tricks to keeping the cork gasket from squishing out when tightening ?

I also noticed that with a Felpro Gasket kit I just bought. But when I bought just the oil pan gasket a while back it came with the right gasket. I would think the gasket without the stubs would seal up just fine. The stubs were just there to align the rubber where as the smooth ones align with the sides. What worries is me is the torque covered cover; will the rubber side sticking out the back cause fitment problems? Probably not but something to look at.

As for the cork sides, I wipe both surfaces down with Brake Parts Cleaner and fresh paper towels until they are oil free. Then you can apply a thin film of RTV sealer on the pan side only, lay gasket down, they let it set up a few minutes. If you don't over tighten it won't squish out. And small dabs of sealer in the corners is needed to too to keep it from leaking.

Yep - I had to buy a 340 specific gasket to get the right one - don't know if I want to risk trying the smooth ones without the "nipples", but I can't see how it'd be a problem ?

Probably wouldn't be a problem but its not easy to change it in the car so not worth risking.

Alrighty then - got the right gasket with the right rubber seals - any silicone on the rubber seals or any advice on a leak-free assembly would be appreciated !

Have you considered a one piece gasket?
made by Speciality component engineering (SCE)
SCE AccuSeal Pro Oil Pan Gaskets
available from Summitracing
Part # SCE-269090
for $27.95

I have not had a chance to use one yet but my memories of the 4 piece style have lasted from the 70s
Anyone out there used one?
Andrew

I think the one piece is only available for the 360.

Make sure you put some RTV in the corners where the rubber meets the cork. And watch out that the cork does not "walk out" in the corners when you push the pan on. I just did this the other night and one corner walked out a little so I think I am going to do the job over again to make sure its perfect. This time I'll use small dabs of 3M super weather strip adhesive to hold the cork into position and let it set up before installing.

Any RTV on the rubber ends or no ? So no RTV on the cork, just weatherstrip adhesive to hold and RTV in corners. Seems to be many methods - just looking for a tried and true before I re-do mine tonight.

Lay the oil pan on a flat surface and check tweak the mating flanges and bolt holes. I use a ball pien to dimple the bolt holes outward toward the bolt head slightly when I can. Lots of pans have reinforced flanges that may not be dimpled but still mght be bent. Tightening will push some of that dimple back again but atleast I know the gasket is tight between the bolts instead of just at the bolts and evenly all around. Work around and around slowly with the tightening. I like to just pull cork gaskets between 2 fingers loaded with black rtv, leaving just enough to saturate the cork and make it sticky. Too much rtv gets slippery. Skittle size dabs of rtv in corners where rubber meets cork.

Skittle size ? I use M & M size myself ! (Couldn't help myself - I know, I know - smart #**!)

-
Back