340 oil pressure? Help

-
Double Ditto, on this! Happens a lot when Cheby and Ferd rebuilders do a Mopar! The camshaft thrust plate blocks the holes but not very well, so low oil pressure is often the result. This is definitely not easy to check, so give the heavier oil a shot first. I wouldn't be happy with that oil pressure on a new build either....
I found one plug was missing in the distributor hole and after dropping the transmission and such I finally got it in and back together I'm hoping this does the trick

That will definitely fix it if the motor wasn't hurt, If you didn't run it long and used good assembly lube it should be fine.

I've seen a few engines where the galley plug was missing. ZERO to 2 PSI. That hole is a HUGE oil bypass when the plug is out. I cannot see any way in heck the engine had the oil pressure it did if the plug was left out.

post 27 - plug is in. post 48 - plug was missing. more info please
I've seen a few engines where the galley plug was missing. ZERO to 2 PSI. That hole is a HUGE oil bypass when the plug is out. I cannot see any way in heck the engine had the oil pressure it did if the plug was left out.
Yeah I'm calling the shop today and letting them know about it. I tried two different mechanical gauges to make sure one wasn't bad. Really hoping it's not fucked up lol

Yeah I triple checked the one in the distributor hole and it was missing hoping it's not messed up
I had a machine shop miss the plug in the left side rear lifter oil galley once. Had oil pressure, but lower than I thought it should be. I removed the distributor and drive, stuck my primeing rod in the oil pump, started spining the rod and found the plug was missing right away. I installed a plug and heated and bent a allen wrench to fit and tighten the plug.

Although machine shops do miss things like that plug, it's ultimately the builder's job to catch things like that.......unless of course it IS the shop that's the builder. Then they just slapped dropped the ball.

Although machine shops do miss things like that plug, it's ultimately the builder's job to catch things like that.......unless of course it IS the shop that's the builder. Then they just slapped dropped the ball.
They were the builder too

They were the builder too

Then it is 100% on them........BUT if the engine really had the pressure it did.......and it sounds like it did.......HOW it did I have no clue, then it's probably ok.

Then it is 100% on them........BUT if the engine really had the pressure it did.......and it sounds like it did.......HOW it did I have no clue, then it's probably ok.
I called them and told them about it. Taking the oil filter to them now and talking about an extended warranty also lol hopefully it all works out

I called them and told them about it. Taking the oil filter to them now and talking about an extended warranty also lol hopefully it all works out

Good luck. I hope it does.

Changing to heaver weight oil to raise you OP is a band aid fix. I run 10-30 Lucas oil in my Dart 360 and my Barracuda 416. This is more than enough in the way of oil. Dart is 70 PSI cold, and 25 hot at idle in gear. Barracuda is 80 cold and 35 at idle in gear, though it has a looser convertor.

Last edited:
i am not saying your engine has a problem, BUT there is a plug behind the dist drive that a non mopar builder forgets lots of time,I forgot it one time myself. Low oil pressure is the result of that. Kind of common, and can be installed with the engine in the car, a real pita but can be done. Not saying that is your issue but something to look at.
Your welcome:thumbsup:

you had some pressure at low revs, and u wisely shut it down quick. the engine will be fine. should have great pressure now!

-
Back