340 oil pressure indication?

-

Airfix

Reaction score
Got my car on the road today, newly rebuilt 340, rallye dash, I know all oil pressure guages are probably different but they should be close. Where is your oil pressure indicating when cold and when hot?
When mine is hot it's down in the lower 1/3, is this about right, might have to slave in a real pressure guage to check the numbers.
Thanks.

Mine is around 1/2. Some times it stays there but some times it will go down to about 1/3 after a while. I don't know how well the factory stuff works but I did have mine rebuilt.

Those old electric oil pressure guages and sensors, I feel, were less than accurate at the best of times. Mine with a 383 and high volume pump would be just above the middle cold and drop to the middle when hot. I wanted to know what the pressure really was so I tubed in a mechanical guage and found it to be 80 psi cold, with 10W-30, and 60 hot driving down the road, and 40 psi at hot idle. I trust those numbers.

Terry

A true gauge reading from a temporary live line gauge will help determine what the factory gauge is saying. I get [ / ] cold and [ \ ] hot LOL
I gotta ask though , what do you get from the temp gauge ? And do you feel the fuel gauge is accurate. There are power supply issues that effect all 3 of those gauges.

i'd recommend putting a 'real' gauge on it to answer your question.

my 318 pulls a strong 15psi hot oil pressure LOL about 50 at 6200rpm and its still runnin hard!

-
Back