340 or 318 turbo

-
Hey cali concept, I'm with you all the way with the 318, here is a pic of my manifold being modded to take the turbo. This is a 360 manifold which will be used on the 318 with a single turbo.

Can't you just turn the exhaust manifold upside down? Or run Ram/Dakota headers on the opposite sides and upside downs so they angle up an forwards? I am not trying to knock you ar your work, it just seems to me to be so many better and easier ways than cutting a manifold like that.

What your looking at is the mount for the turbo. There will be a joining pipe between the two exhaust manifolds, crossing under the engine.

That makes a lot more sense. I think that we both thought the was going to be where the exhaust flows out of.

Yeah, I can see the confusion because the turbo uses a V band to mount it.
I don't want to hijack cali's thread, so I'll start another one when I'm a little further along with this project.

Yeah, I can see the confusion because the turbo uses a V band to mount it.
I don't want to hijack cali's thread, so I'll start another one when I'm a little further along with this project.

No confusion in that at all. I just thought there were 2 Turbo's instead of 1.

My first turbo kit had manifolds like that. Mad Dart is right the difference between a 318 and a 340 under boost is minmal. Cali, what turbo is that? Do you have a part number or specs?

A blow through carb is the way to go for cheap thrills. You need to be really careful with the tune up while running a hat on a carb, like the one pictured earlier in this thread. I have found that a carb running a hat will need staggered jetting to avoid a lean condition in one cylinder. Another consideration is using a single plane intake for better air management.

I've decided to go away from the modified stock exhaust manifold I posted earlier.
I started to weld it but about half way round I ran into contamination problems that were so bad that the rod would not even stick to the cast, it just balled up and rolled off. I'd say being a side that is directly opposite the port exit has pretty much contaminated it right through.I was going to persist but I figured this manifold would probably give me problems later with cracking because it is so thin where I'm welding it.
To be honest I wasn't really happy with where the turbo was located in relation to the intake manifold, I'm going to use some tri Y headers I have here and modify them to do the job and locate the turbo a little further towards the front of the car.

My first turbo kit had manifolds like that. Mad Dart is right the difference between a 318 and a 340 under boost is minmal. Cali, what turbo is that? Do you have a part number or specs?

A blow through carb is the way to go for cheap thrills. You need to be really careful with the tune up while running a hat on a carb, like the one pictured earlier in this thread. I have found that a carb running a hat will need staggered jetting to avoid a lean condition in one cylinder. Another consideration is using a single plane intake for better air management.

2013-03-24_01-48-19_635_zpsa11f0d09.jpg

2013-03-25_07-24-52_478_zps0266ffe5.jpg

I did some research the most I can find out it is a GT40 but not a 100%.

They're both neat, but Ryan's '66 is faster at a scalding 10.74...

Tilleys vc valiant has been into the high 10s out here in oz a few years ago now so that means he can't run it anymore without a roll cage. It has been around a long time and was always built as a street car definitely not for drag racing with stock suspension and runs 2.92 or 3.23 gears in the rear. Runs smooth as with a great programmable EFi setup.

A friend of mine has a valiant , same model as the tilleys turbo slant out here with a turbo 318/390 setup in it and blow through carby from Brent miller in the USA. The car is so driveable and puts out around 600hp at the wheels with ease. That's from a motor that naturally aspirated would be putting about 350hp to the wheels. It has a single turbo with custom 4 into 1 pipes with a crossover from the drivers to passengers side. There are a few videos of it on YouTube if you type in turbo vc valiant.

They are an awesome idea, very driveable and tame until you put your foot down!

Tilleys vc valiant has been into the high 10s out here in oz a few years ago now so that means he can't run it anymore without a roll cage. It has been around a long time and was always built as a street car definitely not for drag racing with stock suspension and runs 2.92 or 3.23 gears in the rear. Runs smooth as with a great programmable EFi setup.

A friend of mine has a valiant , same model as the tilleys turbo slant out here with a turbo 318/390 setup in it and blow through carby from Brent miller in the USA. The car is so driveable and puts out around 600hp at the wheels with ease. That's from a motor that naturally aspirated would be putting about 350hp to the wheels. It has a single turbo with custom 4 into 1 pipes with a crossover from the drivers to passengers side. There are a few videos of it on YouTube if you type in turbo vc valiant.

They are an awesome idea, very driveable and tame until you put your foot down!

Tilley's fuel injected engine is definitely the one to beat, currently, that's for sure!

The turbocharged slant sixes seem to respond well to rear axle-ratios in the high twos... like 2.76 or 2.93, for some strange reason.

Both Ryan Peterson's '66 Valiant and Tom Wolfe's 120+ mph 3,300-pound car have proven to run faster and quicker through the quarter-mile with those tall ratios than they could with, say, a 3.90. Something about the turbo response to the engine's being "held back" that makes them produce more power.

That is weird, but it enhances their utility as a daily driver because it gives them the capability of highway cruising with no need for a complicated, expensive overdrive transmission, and does so without any kind of penalty.

Add to that, the smooth, low rpm idle that accompanies the mild cams that turbo motors seem to need, and the street driveability is almost like a stock motor.... until you punch it! :blob:

Slant sixes and turbos go together like ham and eggs... a marriage made in Heaven! I just wish I'd discovered that about 40 years ago...:banghead:

-
Back