340 Pie Pan question

-

canucksdude

Reaction score
Curious if anyone can point me in the direction of an air cleaner lid in the 13-14” range that would accept the pictured pie pan 340 logo? I’m wanting to use an open element design on my stroker and not the closed smaller style the factory used with these pie pans.

Thanks all

IMG_5479.jpeg

If you have room, use the stock air cleaner with 2 elements. Your stroker should be fine with one.

These are open on the bottom but shielded around the perimeter..

IMG_20180826_162912529.jpg

Ebay ?

Black 14" x 3" Street Rod Flat Base Air Cleaner
1699202618666.png

Or you can use the factory short lids used on fresh air 4 bbl cars in 70-72. They are usually orange but I found this one in wrinkle black. Shows half of the stock filter.

IMG_0340.jpeg

Curious if anyone can point me in the direction of an air cleaner lid in the 13-14” range that would accept the pictured pie pan 340 logo? I’m wanting to use an open element design on my stroker and not the closed smaller style the factory used with these pie pans.

Thanks all

View attachment 1716162562
The factory unsilenced round air cleaner is not closed; it's open all the way around underneath. The filter is also 13 inches in diameter. They are still available in crinkle black or chrome. At least they were the last time I checked.

20180925_191337.jpg

Edit: Mancini has them. Mancini Racing Chrome (unsilenced) Air Cleaner

The short lid is the same as the unsilenced air cleaner lids from 68-69 already shown here but with the bottom ~2” cut off. They were used on 70-72 air grabber and ramcharger equipped cars and shaker ebodies using a 4 bbl in 70-71. 72 example below

IMG_0341.jpeg

That's actually a Ford air cleaner. Or a copy of one.
That's actually a Ford air cleaner. Or a copy of one.
and?

Item description from the seller​

This is a new black painted 14" air cleaner with flat base and paper element. Part # 2148BK BOX.

• Comes complete as shown with black painted steel top, paper filter, black painted steel base, and stud
  • Filter Dimensions: 14" x 3"
  • Overall Assembled Height: 4"
  • Fits GM, CHEVY, FORD, MOPAR, CHRYSLER, DODGE, PLYMOUTH single quad carburetors with 5-1/8" neck.
Note: Wing nut not included...stud only.

and this one's a Chevy one. Or actually a copy of the late 60's Chevy air cleaner.

1699215022995.jpeg

Not that it is terribly important, but I prefer a Mopar style air cleaner on a Mopar. But I have run the Ford and Chevy copies at one time or another in the past.

and this one's a Chevy one. Or actually a copy of the late 60's Chevy air cleaner.

View attachment 1716162666

Not that it is terribly important, but I prefer a Mopar style air cleaner on a Mopar. But I have run the Ford and Chevy copies at one time or another in the past.
but the indent at the top is not wide enough to accept the indent from the pie tin.

Where in Canada are you? I have an original 69 340 air cleaner that somebody cut the sides off of so it’s just a lid, in BC.

aren't those just Gorgeous!

Thanks all

View attachment 1716162562
If yur running an AirGap, clearance under the hood is a big deal.

Well, you can always just run a decal instead of a pie plate. It fits nicely on the Chevy style air cleaner in post 11, above.

1699290107576.jpeg

Or you can just trim the sides off the Mopar Performance air cleaner. Presto! open on the side all the way around. The Mopar air cleaner is the only one the pie plate really fits. But it is only 13 inches, though, if you really, really want a 14 inch filter.

aren't those just Gorgeous!

If yur running an AirGap, clearance under the hood is a big deal.
Well, I have an air gap on a 65 Barracuda and a 67 Barracuda, with the Mopar Performance air cleaner (e.g., post 11, above) and have no problem with clearance on either one. Now, if you want to run a tall spacer under the carb, that's another matter.

Here's the one in my 67. Note the decal, because at the time (and maybe not now) there was no 360 pie plate.

1699290510800.png

But just so you know, I can run the Chevy style air cleaner too (this one with K&N stamped on the top). But not with a Mopar pie plate.

1699290910367.png

-
Back