340 Rebuild Checklist

-

ColoMopar

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I think I'm finally ready to begin assembling my 340. The block is done, the heads are done, rods have been reconditioned, crank has been turned, new cam, new pistons, everything has been balanced including the clutch and I think I have most everything I need. Does anybody know of a good step by step assembly checklist that will help me make sure I've not forgotten anything. I would sure hate to mess this up because of one stupid little mistake.
Thanks!

Clean, Clean and more Clean, block oil galleys and the crank passages along with the cylinders and everything else!! I use the bath tub and hot soapy water to clean the crank. Don't forget to put in ALL of the oil galley plugs! Make sure the rocker arms go on the shafts the correct way and make sure the rocker shafts go on the engine the correct way.

Before you assemble the block, check how the oil pump drive fits into the bushing in the block and also fit the camshaft into the block before assembling anything in case you have to deburr a cam bushing.

Hey Jim, congrats on the progress!! Im jealous as heck! One thing that comes to mind is the oil pump...whether new or used, disassemble and clean, then verify its working good.
Cant wait to see more progress on your engine build!

You can get books on it like how to bild a small block mopar, or you can get the Mopar engin book. We're hear to help just give a shout. And like Kim said, clean, clean, and clean again.

Clean, Clean and more Clean

I see that a lot on these posts and I respect the advice. At the risk of sounding ignorant I need to ask what it is that I'm cleaning? This block has been boiled, bead blasted, & jet washed and frankly looks brand new. If I am going to clean it again and again I need to know what to expect and how I know when I'm done cleaning? I don't want to put anything together that isn't clean enough but I also would like to know how to tell when that is.

I see that a lot on these posts and I respect the advice. At the risk of sounding ignorant I need to ask what it is that I'm cleaning? This block has been boiled, bead blasted, & jet washed and frankly looks brand new. If I am going to clean it again and again I need to know what to expect and how I know when I'm done cleaning? I don't want to put anything together that isn't clean enough but I also would like to know how to tell when that is.

In the block you want to make sure all the oil galleys are clean, then scrub down the cylinder bores because after honing there can be fine particles left behind, after that I like to wipe down the bores with white shop towels and oil, they should come out clean. Make sure you don't leave any lint behind then cover the block while you are not working on it. Again, just my .02.

Mororso sells a nice set o engine cleaning brushes.
You will be surprised how much stuff come out of the passeges.

Sure would hate to get any crude coming through into the bearings. I'll check into the brushes suggested and double check all the passages. Does everyone agree that "How to build a small block Mopar" would be the best resource in terms of a check list?

Hi Guys,

I think I'm finally ready to begin assembling my 340. The block is done, the heads are done, rods have been reconditioned, crank has been turned, new cam, new pistons, everything has been balanced including the clutch and I think I have most everything I need. Does anybody know of a good step by step assembly checklist that will help me make sure I've not forgotten anything. I would sure hate to mess this up because of one stupid little mistake.
Thanks!

Seeing as you're in CO as well, just curious as to who you had do the machine work?

Several years ago I built a 360 and used The Block Shop over on Platte Canyon, they did a great job so I used them again this time. Just ask for Joe.

Ah OK. I know that place. I've got mine at Ridge Reamer right now.

Get a how to rebuild Mopar small block engines book. I remember one having a checklist in it. I'll have to check and see if I can find it.

its a great place to reference almost anything, also look up a master engine rebuild kit on e bay it will tell you what you need as far as gaskets and stuff and like they are all saying like in the mopar book just keep wiping parts clean like an operating room and always ask anything you question in fabo , there is some great mechanics ,in every field in here ,i am always blown away how much collective knowlage has been passed on and is in this site

How's it coming along Jim? pics?

I'm not in a huge hurry on this one Dave, but I will post pics along the way. What do you think, post the pics on this thread or start a new 340 rebuild thread?

I'll order the rebuilding mopar small block book before I begin just to double check myself.

I like what everyone else has been telling you. I start a new build by tapping out every threaded hole. Wash the block down with soap and water and brushes. I use lots of compressed air to blow out every crevice and hole. Never let the cylinders dry on there own. They will rust instantly. WD-40 is a friend here since it displaces oil. See ya next week.

-
Back