340 street hp

-

sireland67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just put together a 72 340.
I am thinking about putting it in my duster.
The car is a 4-speed, 3.23 but I do have a 4.30 gear.
Specs on the motor are .030, cast crank, 243 KB, stock X heads, ld340 intake 700 holley dp, lunati 50403 .494/5.13 lift 271 /279 duration.
Just going to cruise around in this, have some good family fun.
What do you think hp wise this motor will make?

Here's my assessment.....:D.

A stock hi-comp 340 will "net" hp in the 240/250 range. So using round conservative numbers.....

Headers...............+20
Intake.................+15
Carb....................+10
Cam....................+35
Good tune/timing...+10
.......................= +90

So i'll go in the 330/340hp range.

Ignition I am using a MP distributor.
Exhaust I have the option of stock 73 340 manifolds, or headers, I am leaning towards manifolds because the last duster I had the headers were just such a pain.

Ignition I am using a MP distributor.
Exhaust I have the option of stock 73 340 manifolds, or headers, I am leaning towards manifolds because the last duster I had the headers were just such a pain.

You'll be giving up alot of hp

Here's my assessment.....:D.

A stock hi-comp 340 will "net" hp in the 240/250 range. So using round conservative numbers.....

Headers...............+20
Intake.................+15
Carb....................+10
Cam....................+35
Good tune/timing...+10
.......................= +90

So i'll go in the 330/340hp range.

That is about what I was thinking, do you think the cam I picked will work good for all around street performance?

You'll be giving up alot of hp

Yeah, I know but my car sits kinda low with the 1.030" torsion bars, I just remember crushed headers on my last duster from the rough roads here in WV.
I do have a new set of coated headers, I think they are headmans so the cost is no different.

That is about what I was thinking, do you think the cam I picked will work good for all around street performance?

I think so.......Good sound, streetable enough with the 4 gear, and a power curve that should work well with the stock heads.

I think so.......Good sound, streetable enough with the 4 gear, and a power curve that should work well with the stock heads.

That is good to know.
I took off a set of heavy ported 974 and an 508 mp cam that was in the engine when I bought it.
I just thought the ported heads and cam would kill the torque of the motor.
That is why I picked a milder cam and heads.

So I am still looking good for torque and drivability?

I think your combo sounds good, only comment from me is that headers will increase your torque about 40 pounds throughout the rpm range....

So I am still looking good for torque and drivability?

I know some of the members here have had good success with the .508 but i personally don't care for it.....too much commotion for what you get in my opinion. That Voodoo with the 226*@.050 intake timing should be much more drivable, especially with the 3.23's. I really don't think you're downgrading at all here. The heads should be fine and with that cam i think you'll actually have more usable power thruout you're intended power range. I like it.

I think your combo sounds good, only comment from me is that headers will increase your torque about 40 pounds throughout the rpm range....

Yeah, I know headers will help.
I already have a new set that I got in trade a few years back.

I just have this horrible memory burned in my head by a set of black jack headers I had on my first duster, denting the drivers header to clear ps box, bottom ended up smashed after a couple a months, constant leaks.

I know some of the members here have had good success with the .508 but i personally don't care for it.....too much commotion for what you get in my opinion. That Voodoo with the 226*@.050 intake timing should be much more drivable, especially with the 3.23's. I really don't think you're downgrading at all here. The heads should be fine and with that cam i think you'll actually have more usable power thruout you're intended power range. I like it.

Thanks,
That means alot comming from you.

I am just going to put around town with this motor, hoping it is mellow enough for the wife to drive.

Still on the fence about headers, since the duals that are on their now will bolt up to the stock 340 manifolds.
They are an old school duals, with glass packs but the po had them done in stainless pipe so they are not rusty, just old technology.

as mentioned probably 330-350 with headers

Cast exhaust manifolds, likely in the 310-320 range

That's a good combo. It will have some chop at idle and run strong to about 5700 is my guess.

Lunati had to go and screw up their inventory numbering... bastards! LOL

as mentioned probably 330-350 with headers

Cast exhaust manifolds, likely in the 310-320 range

That's a good combo. It will have some chop at idle and run strong to about 5700 is my guess.

Lunati had to go and screw up their inventory numbering... bastards! LOL

I did not realize that Lunati changed their numbering until this thread.

Mild power with good torque is what I am looking for in this build.

I am looking to be maintenace free, right now the car has a stock 318 in it, with an perfomer intake, and a 625 carter, it sometimes sits for months while I am restoring the body, but the old girl always starts, and idles smooth.

I have 3 antique vehicles that I keep drivable and on the road so reliability is a must.
Me and the wife both have modern vehicles so the antiques only get about 500 miles max a year.

-
Back