340 stroker pistons

-

brad stuckey

Useless
Reaction score
I have a .060 over '72 340. Is it worth stroking ?? And who might make a piston to fit if I were to stroke it ?? I see plenty for .030 over engines.

I don't understand stroking the 340. One of its big advantages is a high red line. Doesn't this negate that?
Wouldn't stroking a 360 make more sense? since it is already a stroked 340.

You could probably sell the 340 and get enough to buy a running 360 and some of the stoking parts.

Thanks. I'm just trying to squeeze the last little bit of life out of this engine. Not sure it's worth it. Been a good motor......:cry:

Not sure what value a worn 340 holds. Block and crank is on their 8th life!! I feel that adding CI's will lower RPMs and get a little longer life out of it.

I have a .60 stroked 340 (422) and it's torque is well worth the extra. I used ross racing pistons, forged 4" crank and I-beam rods. Runs great. If you are going to rebiuld it anyway, get the most out of it. With some /6 bars and fine tuning I bet I could get the front wheels up. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PwKA4Wvoqo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]YouTube - ‪Duster 11.87 run.MOD‬‏[/ame]

As was said, have it sonic tested first, and .060 over 340 bore is typically going to be more expensive with any manufaturer because it's usually not a "shelf" part number like std or .030 ones are.
As far as why would you... Well, the 340 is an rpm engine. But a street car generally isn't. The 4" stroke makes the 340 feel like a 440. They really are brutal torque engines.

Hey,nice duster and nice combo.....Can you give some details to your stroker??
I have a .60 stroked 340 (422) and it's torque is well worth the extra. I used ross racing pistons, forged 4" crank and I-beam rods. Runs great. If you are going to rebiuld it anyway, get the most out of it. With some /6 bars and fine tuning I bet I could get the front wheels up. YouTube - ‪Duster 11.87 run.MOD‬‏

"IMO" if you need to buy a rotating assy anyways why not stroke it as long as is fine when sonic tested. Have seen assys w/ .060 pistons @ mancini racing. Not only will you gain cubic inches, you will also lower your RPMS witch would achive longer engine life.

Iam running a 60 over 340 about the same as Dustedu2 and its a great street car. You could always sleeve it then rebore it.

Is the block already at .060 or will it be after another bore resurface? If this is a numbers matching block in a car you plan to 100 point restore, I would say keep the 340. If not, why mess with it. You could sell the 340 for more than a running 360 core would cost. Then buy stroker kit, add heads etc... and you're in business. Heck if the 340 is currently running, you won't have to take the car off the road. Besides, the 360's slightly larger main journal makes for a somewhat stronger bottom end.

-
Back