340 swap-small block k frame or motor mounts?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey there guys,

Im getting ready to swap a 340 into a 1971 Scamp which currently has a slant six in it. I can either buy a used K frame for 250, or go with schumacher motor mounts for 300. Im debating which route to go. The car will be a street car, if that makes a difference. I was just wondering if one or the other will affect header clearance or will require extra fabrication to work. I just want to go the best route for the money. Considering the mounts are only a little more than a used small block k frame, the mounts seem like a better idea, but im not sure, so please steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

why not switch out k members and get disk brakes out of the deal unless you already have disk brakes

$300 seems a bit steep for the Schumacher mounts. Shouldn't they be more like $160 plus shipping? Does it cost that much more to get them in Canada?

yea i double checked the price for the schumaucher's and they should actually be cheaper...i was looking through a site called national moparts who sells them for 300 canadian, but i think i would just buy them myself from schumaucher if i go that route...would it be easier to swap to discs with a k member change? I have front discs right now and was hoping to swap to discs....i just want to know the route with the best options for the engine swap...mounts or k member

I think the easiest swap for the engine is to use the Schumacher mounts. I don't think there's any reason to swap K members to switch to discs. Just swap from the lower ball joints on out. Also have to swap upper control arms if switching to the large bolt pattern discs (I think).

so I would be able to go with discs even using the mounts instead of going for the k member? would the swap to discs be harder and more expensive with mounts or the same as going with a k member?

I'm in the process of re-doing the Schumacher mount deal with a 360 in a slant six car. (The previous owner did it all WRONG.) If I were to start from scratch, I'd go the K-frame swap route. With the conversion mounts, you need to trim and drill the driver's side saddle (perch). At this point you may be thinking about rebuilding the front suspension and changing torsion bars anyway, so while you've got it all apart, why not just swap K's, eh?

Just my $.02, but I think this is the "right" way to do it.

a lot easier to clean paint and detail the front suspension and everything else in the swap by changing the k frame,you can build the whole front suspension,bolt the engine and transmission to it and lower the car body down on it with headers and all without a scratch to the firewall or inner fenders and it will look correct,and will be so much easier to clean and paint the engine bay and all the other pieces,thats just how I do it but the other ways will work alsobut what a pain installing headers around all that fresh paint just my.02 good luck and keep us posted how it goes either way

I agree that if you're going to do the whole front suspension & you have the parts a K frame swap would be the way to go. If it was just the engine swap I'd probably just do the Schumacher mounts but I've never used them & don't know about what problems you might run into with them.

If you use the '73-up disc and use or want to use the sway bar...better get a '73-up K. The calipers will slap into ends of the sway bar

my dad told me to go with the k frame, and i think im going too...it seems the better route to go, so im think im gonna start looking for one soon....the swap wont be for a few months, since right now im in the body work phase on the car...thanks for all the replies guys

-
Back