340 timing questions

-

aaron68s

Reaction score
I have my 340 build together and running, my questions are what is a good starting point for base and all in timing? My specs are.. steel crank 340, 9.8 c/r, ported J's, comp XE284H .507-.510 install at 106, air gap intake, 750dp Holley. Thanks for any input Aaron

I agree but depending on gears maybe all in between 2000-2500. I have about 1 more point of compression than you Im running 22 initial 34 total all in around 2300.no ping or issues.

Which distributor ? mechanical and vacuum ? How much advance built in to it ?
I like 34 ish , all in by 2200 - 2500.....depending on gear. In quicker with steeper gear like 3.91 or bigger. Might take more , but this is a nice place to start with iron heads.

Its a factory untouched vac dist and electronic ignition

Bare with me Rob....:D

First of all,this test is with vacuum advance plugged.
Make sure the car is warm.
For a baseline,set your total at 34
Now see what your initial is.
Take it for a drive.
How's it run ?

Do that and get back to us.
From the looks of your build,you probably will have to run more initial,and tweak the amount of advance built in.
Or you might like it right where it is.
Let us know.:burnout:

Take it for a drive.
How's it run ?

From the looks of your build,you probably will have to run more initial,and tweak the amount of advance built in.
i will give that a try. I set initial at 20 today and took it for a spin. it ran good with no ping and it starts good hot. how do i limit the all in timing. best i can tell its over 40

Take it for a drive.
How's it run ?

I set the all in at 34 today, I doesn't like it, won't hardly run. It seems to like when I set initial at 20-25, starts idles and runs pretty strong, but my alll in is way up there and its all in at 1800ish. Where do I adjust the all in on a all stock 72 electronic ignition?

You have to take the distributor apart and shorten the advance slots.

If you know what you need for mechanical advance, ask oldmanmopar if he has any modified advance plates. Steve is a pretty good guy.

-
Back